It is known by all that India is a repository of herbs and flora with medicinal properties. This is the reason why we have been using different types of herbal products and natural oils for centuries. One such oil is tea tree essential oil. Whether the problem is related to health, skin or hair, the benefits of tea tree oil can be a panacea for them. In this article of Stylecrase, we will explain what tea tree oil is. Also, in this article you will also learn about the use of tea tree oil for various body related problems. This is not a medical treatment for physical disorders mentioned in the article, but it can definitely help in getting some relief from the symptoms of the problem.
So let’s get started
Let us begin the article by explaining what tea tree oil is.
What is tea tree oil? – What is Tea Tree Oil
Many people consider tea tree essential oil to be a kind of green tea essential oil, whereas it is not. It is extracted from the leaves of a plant called Melaleuca alternifolia with the help of a scientific process. Originally the plant is found in Australia. There tea tree oil is traditionally used to get relief from many skin related problems like fungal infections, acne, cuts, insect bites etc. ( 1 ).
After knowing what is tea tree oil, know further the benefits of tea tree oil.
Benefits of Tea Tree Oil – Benefits of Tea Tree Oil
1. Bladder infection
Bladder infection (bladder infection / urinary tract infection) is caused by a bacterial infection in the bladder. It can affect various organs of the urethra such as the bladder (bladder), ureter (ureter) and kidney ( 2 ). Tea tree oil can be used to get relief from this infection. This oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties, which are capable of preventing bladder infection ( 3 ).
2. Pimple in the eye
Pimples in the eyes are a kind of painful infection that affects the eyelids. This may be due to bacteria ( 4 ). In such a situation, tea tree essential oil can be used to get relief from this problem also called blepharitis. This oil has antibacterial properties, which can help in eliminating bacteria and help to relieve pimples ( 5 ). In addition, the use of tea tree oil may also help prevent collegian (pus in the eye caused by excess sebum) ( 6 ).
3. Oral Health
The benefits of tea tree oil can also be seen in keeping the mouth healthy. It is believed that mixing a spoonful of brandy and three teaspoons of tea tree oil in a glass of lukewarm water and rinse with it can relieve many problems related to the mouth. This solution can help relieve mouth ulcers, gingivitis and smelly breath ( 7 ).
4. Navel infection
Strange to read, but it is true that if the navel is not cleaned properly, it can cause infection. This can cause itching, pain, and bleeding in the navel. In such a situation, there is a wound in the navel due to dirt and germs. Antibiotic treatment may be beneficial in relieving such infections ( 8 ). Because of this, the benefits of tea tree oil can be taken to get relief from the infection of the navel. This oil is enriched with antibiotic, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties, which can help to relieve infection by eliminating bacteria ( 9 ). Further research is needed on the benefits of tea tree oil in this subject. Therefore, use tea tree oil only after consulting a doctor.
5. Parrot blisters
Blisters may occur due to excessive rubbing / pressure on any part of the foot or wearing more tight shoes ( 10 ). In such cases, using tea tree oil on the blisters can help relieve them. Tea tree oil is called “magic healing oil”, which can help heal wounds quickly. A mixture of tea tree oil and rosemary oil is believed to have wound healing properties, which can be helpful in healing wounds. In addition, this mixture may also help relieve inflammation caused by blisters due to its antiinflammatory properties ( 11 ).
6. Dry Socket
Dry socket is a tooth-related problem, in which pain persists for two to four days after the tooth is removed. Whenever a tooth is removed, a blood clot accumulates in the socket. The term socket is related to the hole in the jaw where the tooth is. This blood clot protects the bone and nerve, but when the blood clot does not form well, the bone and nerve open and result in pain ( 12 ). The antimicrobial properties of tea tree essential oil work to get relief from this. They control wound bacteria, which can be said to help in healing the wound quickly ( 13 ). For this, apply honey and one or two drops of tea tree oil on the cotton ball and apply it on the wound.
Keep reading articles
7. Sinus infection
The sinuses are the hollow holes in the skull that help in breathing. When an infection occurs due to bacteria, virus or fungus, and it becomes inflamed, it is called a sinus infection ( 14 ). Tea tree oil can be used for this. Indeed, tea tree oil has antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties, which can help relieve sinuses by eliminating germs that cause sinuses ( 9 ). The use of tea tree essential oil along with eucalyptus oil is believed to be beneficial in relieving breathing problems ( 15 ).
8. Body odor
Body odor is a complex problem that can affect the entire personality. People who sweat more than their body have more trouble with it. Bacteria also grow on the body with sweat, which usually causes body odor ( 16 ). To overcome this, the benefits of tea tree oil can be reaped. It is a potent oil that, by its antibacterial properties, can act to fight the body’s bacteria ( 9 ).
Ringworm is a type of infection that can result from a fungal attack on the skin. It has a red, itchy ring on the infected site ( 17 ). One type of this problem is also tinea pedis, for which tea tree oil can be used. Tea tree oil has antifungal properties that can help to relieve infection by eliminating the fungus that causes fungal infections ( 9 ). In addition, this essential oil also has antimycotic properties, which can help eliminate infection by eliminating fungus ( 18 ).
Pneumonia is an infection associated with the lungs, in which fluid enters the air sac. The fluid gets inflamed and there is trouble in breathing. A person suffering from pneumonia may have fever, chills and sputum while coughing ( 19 ). Tea tree oil benefits have been seen to overcome this. Tea tree oil is an effective essential oil, enriched with antimicrobial properties. Studies have shown that smelling tea tree oil can reduce the symptoms of pneumonia ( 20 ).
Wart is an infection of the skin, caused by Human Papillomavirus (HPV ) ( 21 ). Tea tree essential oil can be used as a wart removal remedy . A research published by NCBI has found that due to the antimicrobial properties of tea tree oil, it can be used to relieve warts ( 22 ).
12. Nail infections
A nail infection is a type of fungal infection that can occur in the feet and fingers of hands. In this problem, the color of the nail turns yellow, the nails become thick and break easily ( 23 ). The benefits of tea tree oil can be taken to get relief from this fungal infection. The antifungal properties present in it can eliminate infection-causing fungus and may help to keep the nail healthy ( 24 ). Further research is needed on humans in this subject and before using tea tree oil for this, make sure to consult a doctor.
Acne is such a problem that can happen to anyone and there is no one reason for it. In this case, tea tree oil can also be used to keep the skin healthy with health. This essential oil has antiseptic and antimicrobial properties, which can help in getting rid of acne ( 25 ) ( 26 ). For this, applying a little essential oil on a cotton ball can be relaxed by applying it on the affected area. Using this way, tea tree oil can be beneficial for the skin.
14. Dandruff and Itching
Tea tree oil can also be beneficial for hair. It can also be used to get rid of hair problems like dandruff and itching. Research published by NCBI highlights its antifungal properties. This research suggests that the antifungal properties of tea tree oil can be beneficial in eliminating dandruff by eliminating the fungus that causes dandruff ( 27 ). How to use tea tree oil for hair is described further.
After the benefits of tea tree oil, know about its use in the next part of the article.
How to use Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil can be used in the following ways:
- To get relief from infection, add one or two drops of tea tree essential oil in half a cup of water and apply it on the affected area with the help of a cotton ball.
- Taking a bath, adding five to six drops of tea tree essential oil in lukewarm water while bathing can reduce body odor.
- Putting two to three drops of this oil in a diffuser under tea tree oil benefits and keeping it in the room can help relieve breathing problems.
- Mixing one or two drops of tea tree oil in a glass of lukewarm water and rinse can help keep the mouth healthy.
- Tea tree oil can be beneficial for the hair by mixing two or three drops of it in coconut / olive oil and massage it on the scalp.
Further interesting information
Read some other benefits of tea tree oil in the following part of the article.
Other benefits of tea tree oil
- Hand sanitizer : Tea tree oil can also be used as a hand sanitizer. Due to its antibacterial and antimicrobial properties, it can help eliminate hand germs ( 3 ).
How to make tea tree oil hand sanitizer :
- Three quarter cup rubbing alcohol
- A quarter cup aloe vera gel
- 10 drops of tea tree essential oil
- After measuring all the ingredients properly, put them in a bowl and mix well.
- Now mix all the ingredients with an electric blender.
- Then fill this mixture in a spray bottle. Take, your hand sanitizer is ready.
- Insect deterrent (Insect Repellent): It is believed that Tea Tree Oil pests can also be used as a deterrent ( 28 ).
How to make tea tree oil pest prevention :
- A quarter cup of almond oil
- Three Drops Tea Tree Oil
- Two drops eucalyptus oil
- Mix all the ingredients well in a spray bottle.
- Now apply this mixture well on hands, feet and mouth before going out.
- Natural deodorant : As mentioned above in the article, tea tree oil can help keep body odor away due to its antibacterial properties ( 3 ). With this help, natural deodorant can be made at home.
How to make tea tree oil natural deodorant :
- Three tablespoons coconut oil
- Three tablespoons cornstarch
- Three teaspoons baking soda
- 10-15 drops tea tree oil
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan.
- Now take it out in a bowl and mix the remaining ingredients in it as well.
- After mixing all the ingredients well, take out this mixture in a small glass jar and keep it for freezing.
- When the mixture completely freezes, apply it on the body with the help of fingers.
Know further precautions
After knowing the benefits of tea tree oil, know about some precautions related to its use.
Precautions before using tea tree oil
It is important to use it carefully to avoid loss of tea tree oil. Read below about the precautions to be taken while using tea tree oil:
- Never apply tea tree oil directly on the skin. Always use it in any other oil (coconut / olive / almond).
- Use tea tree oil carefully around the eyes. Take care that it does not go into the eyes.
- If you feel itchy, burning sensation or discomfort after using it, wash it immediately. Use it only after consulting a doctor.
- Do make a patch test before using it on the whole body or face.
- Keep in mind that it should not be swallowed when used for mouth.
- Keep it out of the reach of children.
- Do not use it on pets.
Read about the loss of tea tree oil in the next part of this article.
Side effects of tea tree oil
Not using it properly can also cause harm to tea tree essential oils, such as ( 1 ):
- Consumption can cause confusion.
- Due to intake, there can be problem in maintaining ataxia.
- Dermatitis can be red itchy spots on the body.
- Skin irritation and itching may occur.
Continue this article
After knowing the pitfalls of tea tree oil, the next part of the article is about good brands.
Best Tea Tree Oil Brands
1. ModiCare Tea Tree Oil
Modicare tea tree oil can be used for all skin types (dry, oily, sensitive, combinative).
Rating: 4.6 / 5
2. Khadi Tea Tree Oil
Khadi tea tree oil is specially used for hair. Along with hair it can also be used for skin.
Rating: 4.2 / 5
3. Sheer Veda Tea Tree Essential Oil
Sheer Veda Tea Tree Oil can be used to take various advantages of Tea Tree Oil. Along with skin and hair it can also be used for aromatherapy.
Rating: 4.2 / 5
4. The Body Shop Beauty Tea Tree Oil
It is 100 percent Vegan Tea Tree Oil. It can be used especially for acne and dark spots.
We hope that you now have a better understanding of what tea tree oil is. Tea tree oil benefits are for skin and hair, along with health-related disorders, provided it is used with caution. Also, to avoid the loss of tea tree oil, it is necessary to use it in limited quantities. At the same time, if someone is using it for a particular problem, then first consult a doctor. Please tell that there is no medical cure for the problems mentioned in the article Tea Tree Oil. This can only be helpful in reducing their symptoms to some extent. Hope this article is beneficial for you.