Forgetting things often, repeating things or not showing interest in any subject can all be due to autism. It is a brain disorder that starts in childhood. It is necessary to start treatment of autism in time, otherwise its consequences can also be fatal. In this article of Stylecrease, important information related to autism has been shared. In this article, the causes of autism, its symptoms and how home remedies can be taken for autism, are explained in detail. However, home prescriptions stated in the article are not a cure for this problem. These measures can help reduce the symptoms of this disorder and its effects.
In the first part of the article, know what is autism.
What is autism – What is Autism
Autism or autism spectrum disorder is a type of mental disorder. Its symptoms begin to appear in the early years of life. In this, the victim grapples with social, communication and behavioral challenges. It is a type of neurodevelopmental disorder that increases with age. In certain circumstances, autism can also be related to other mental disorders, but only in rare circumstances. According to the American Psychiatric Association, the problem involves the victim talking or explaining things to people, which has an impact on their daily life such as school, office, or other areas of life.
Learn more about the type of autism.
Types of Autism
The type of autism can be divided into three parts:
- Autistic disorder : Intellectual disability can be found in individuals suffering from autistic disorder. Such individuals may have problems talking to others and establishing social behavior. Also, changes can be seen in their behavior and interest.
- Asperger’s syndrome : The symptoms of autism are not as clear as those of autistic disorder. In this type of autism, there may be a decrease in interest of the victim and they may also face problems in fulfilling social pragmatism. Language and intellectual disability are not found in this type of autistic disorder.
- Perversive developmental disorder : This type is also called atypical autism . Some symptoms of this type of autism can be similar to autistic disorder. Although not all symptoms are the same, there may be a problem in negotiating and establishing social behavior.
In the next part of the article, know what may be the causes of autism.
Causes of Autism – Causes of Autism
The cause of autism has not yet been properly ascertained, but it may be genetic. This can be due to genetic as well as environmental reasons. Problems mentioned below may be involved in the cause of autism:
- Gestational age : Being a mother at 34 or older.
- Complications in pregnancy : Viral infections during pregnancy, bleeding, diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, or lack of oxygen in the uterus can all cause autism.
- Pregnant mental health : If a pregnant woman is suffering from schizophrenia, depression and anxiety or has ever suffered, then the risk of autism may increase in the infant.
- Medications in pregnancy : During pregnancy, excessive intake of medicines can increase the risk of autism by up to 48 percent.
- Family condition : Social, economic and psychological conditions of the family affect autism.
After knowing the cause of autism, further know what the symptoms of autism can be.
Symptoms of autism
At the top of the symptoms of autism is discomfort in social communication and behavior, as well as repetition and loss of interest. However, the symptoms of autism do not all look the same. Know below some common symptoms that appear in most people suffering from autism:
Problems in social communication such as:
- Little or no eye contact.
- Do not look and listen to others.
- Do not react to call names.
- Problem maintaining communication.
- To talk a lot on the subject of your interest without giving the person a chance.
- Physical activity and gestures do not match what is said.
- Voice singing or flat and robot-like sounds in talking.
- Having trouble understanding the attitude of others or understanding its gestures.
Restrictive / repetitive behavior such as:
- Repeating words or words in an unusual way.
- Be more interested in certain topics, such as numbers, descriptions or facts.
- To become depressed even by a slight change in daily life.
- Being more sensitive to lights, sounds, clothing or temperature than others.
The symptoms of autism also include some positive things, such as:
- To remember things in detail for a long time.
- To learn easily by seeing or hearing things.
- To excel in mathematics, science, music or art.
Correct medical treatment is needed to relieve the symptoms of autism, but home remedies for autism can also be used along with it. Learn about home remedies for autism in the next part of the article.
Home Remedies for Autism
The home remedies for autism described below may help in curing the symptoms of autism to some extent. Learn how home remedies work for autism and how they can be used.
1. Epsom Salt
- Two Cups Epsom Salt
- Half cup baking soda
- A bathtub lukewarm water
- Mix two cups of Epsom salt in a bathtub with lukewarm water.
- Sit the victim in this water for about 15-20 minutes.
- Finally give it a bath with clean water.
How it works:
People with autism often have lower levels of plasma sulfate (the level of sulfate in the blood), which is why they are advised to take sulfate supplements. Epsom salt bath has been considered as one of the effective ways to increase plasma sulfate levels. Baking soda increases the absorption of salt in the body. Thus Epsom salt can help reduce its symptoms as a home remedy for autism.
2. Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- Omega 3 supplements
- Omega-3 supplements can be given to the victim on consultation with a doctor.
- Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids can also be consumed as home remedies for autism.
How it works:
A research published on the website of NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information) has found that omega-3 fatty acid deficiency in the body can be caused by autism. Omega-3 is a type of polyunsaturated fatty acid. It has anti-inflammatory properties and can help the brain cell membrane (brain cell membrane) to function properly. In addition, omega-3 fatty acids may also help reduce some symptoms of autism such as emotional and behavioral problems .
- Probiotic rich diet and supplements
- The victim may be advised to take probiotic supplements daily.
- Probiotic-rich foods may be included in the patient’s diet.
How it works:
Autism often causes stomach problems such as stomach pain, constipation and diarrhea, which may be one of the reasons behind their abnormal behavior. In this case, taking probiotic-rich diet and supplements can benefit. Probiotic can help relieve stomach problems by balancing the good and bad bacteria in the intestine. Further intensive research is still needed in this matter .
To get relief in any disease, along with its treatment, it is also necessary to take the right diet. In the next part of the article, know what kind of diet should be consumed for autism.
Diet for autism – Diet For Autism
The following foods can be included in the diet to get relief from autism.
- Magnesium-rich diet : Plasma magnesium levels are low in people with autism, which can be a cause of autism symptoms. Lack of magnesium in the body can cause mental instability. For this, a diet containing magnesium can be included:
- Fruits like bananas, avocados and dried apricots
- Nuts such as almonds or cashews
- Gram, legumes and seed grains
- Soy Containing Foods
- Whole grains (such as brown rice and millet)
- Diets containing omega-3 fatty acids : As we have mentioned earlier in the article, omega-3 deficiency in the body can also be a cause of autism. Including foods containing omega-3 fatty acids in the diet may also help reduce the symptoms of autise. The foods mentioned below are rich in omega-3 fatty acids ( 10 ):
- Fish such as salmon, minnow, albacore tuna, trout and sardines
- Linseed seed and oil
- Chia Seeds
- Canola and soy oil
- Soybean and tofu
- Probiotic-rich diet : Including a probiotic-rich diet in the patient’s diet can also benefit, which can help reduce stomach problems caused by autism. Probiotics may include the following foods ( 11 ):
- cottage cheese
- Ice Cream
- Milk powder
- Fermented Milk
After knowing about the foods that are eaten in the state of autism, further in the article, we are talking about the foods which should not be eaten.
- Gluten-rich diet : In many cases, autism patients may be allergic to gluten-containing foods ( 12 ) ( 13 ). In such a situation, it is advisable not to take a gluten-rich diet, such as ( 14 ):
- Barley (includes malt, malt flavoring and malt vinegar)
- Tricklit (a cross-breed grain between wheat and cecal)
Other gluten-rich foods:
- Bread and other baked products
- Soy sauce
- Canned or Deep Fried Foods
- Canned foods including frozen foods, soups and rice mixtures.
- Salad Dressing, Sauce
- Some candy, licorice
- Some medicines and vitamins
Next you will know how to treat autism medically.
Treatment of Autism – Treatment of Autism
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there are no drugs that can treat autism yet. Therefore, doctors recommend taking medicines that can help a person with autism lead a normal life, such as controlling energy levels or depression, or relieving problems with focusing. Autism can be treated by reducing its symptoms with the help of some therapy with medicines, such as ( 15 ):
- Behavior and Communication Approaches : It works on social communication and behavior of the individual. This includes therapies wherein the patient is taught to dress, eat, bathe, respond to voice or touch, control the manner of talking and emotional behavior, etc.
- Dietary therapy : To reduce the symptoms of autism in the victim, vitamin and mineral supplements are given in their diet. Also, nutrients are added to the diet, which are lacking in the patient’s body. In this therapy, changes are made in the patient’s diet.
- Complementary and Alternative Treatments : This therapy is rarely used. Special foods are included in the diet of the patient. Along with that, this therapy can also include a process like chelation (the process of removing metals like lead from the body).
After knowing the treatment of autism, in the next part of the article, know about the ways to avoid autism.
Tips to avoid autism – Prevention Tips for Autism in Hindi
Some things can be kept in mind during pregnancy as a way of avoiding autism, such as:
- Adequate intake of folic acid during pregnancy may reduce the risk of autism in infants ( 16 ).
- Nuclear translucency (NT) and triple marker tests can be performed to detect neural tube defects in the fetus. With the help of this test, any such problem can be prevented in the infant before it occurs ( 17 ).
- Do not take any medicines other than those prescribed by the doctor during pregnancy.
- Get your baby regularly checked up and vaccinated after birth.
Now you must have understood almost everything about autism. Keep in mind that because of the symptoms of autism, the victim often loses their confidence, due to which it is important to treat them properly. Also, with the help of the right medical treatment, therapy and home remedies for autism, its symptoms can be reduced. This can help a person to lead a normal life. With the help of the therapy described in the article, treat the autism under the supervision of a specialist. Also, if you have any question related to this problem, then you can ask us by writing in the comment box below.