Fenugreek is used in everything from vegetable to paratha. While it is delicious to eat, it also has many benefits from the perspective of Ayurveda. Its leaves and grains have been used as Ayurvedic medicine for centuries in India. This can help maintain health better. At the same time, if someone is ill, it can help in healing properties. Yes, if someone has a serious problem, then prioritize medical treatment. In this article of Stylecrase, we will talk about the use of fenugreek and the benefits of eating fenugreek. Also, we will give information about the loss from fenugreek.
Must read till the end
In the beginning of this article we will explain what is fenugreek.
What is fenugreek? – What is Fenugreek in Hindi
Fenugreek is a type of food ingredient that can be used in many ways in the diet. When its green leaves are consumed as a vegetable. At the same time, its grains are also used while preparing food. Its plant is two to three feet long and its pod has small yellow-brown fragrant grains. It is cultivated in abundance in the Mediterranean region, South Europe and West Asia. Fenugreek is known by different names in India. While it is called fenugreek in Hindi, Gujarati, Marathi, Bengali and Punjabi, its name is Sethika in Sanskrit. In Kannada it is known as Mentia, Mentulu in Telugu, Vendayam in Tamil, Vantiyam in Malayalam, Fenugreek in English and Triagonella phonum Greekum in Latin.
Come, now we know the benefits of fenugreek.
Benefits of Fenugreek
1. Relief from diabetes
Patients with diabetes should pay special attention to diet. Such people can include fenugreek seeds in their diet. To confirm this, a scientific research was done, according to which, consuming fenugreek seeds can control the amount of sugar in the blood . It can also reduce insulin resistance in patients with type-2 diabetes (1) . At the same time, according to another research, its beneficial effect on diabetes may be due to the hypoglycemic effect present in it. It is known to reduce the amount of sugar in the blood (2) . Therefore, people with normal blood sugar should avoid excessive intake of it.
2. For Cholesterol
Many problems can arise due to increase in cholesterol in the body. In such a situation, the use of fenugreek can be a good option to control cholesterol. Indeed, according to a scientific study, fenugreek seeds contain a flavonoid called naringenin. It can work by lowering the level of lipids in the blood. It also has antioxidant properties, due to which the patient’s high cholesterol can be reduced ( 3 ). Therefore, it can be said that the benefits of fenugreek seeds can be to reduce cholesterol .
3. Arthritis pain
As the age progresses, the joints start to swell, causing unbearable pain. This is called joint pain or Arthritis. To deal with this, fenugreek is a panacea recipe, which has been used for centuries. Fenugreek has antiinflammatory and antioxidant properties. These beneficial ingredients can help in relieving the pain of arthritis by reducing inflammation of joints. Iron, calcium and phosphorus are also found in plenty in fenugreek. Therefore, the medicinal properties of fenugreek provide essential nutrients to bones and joints, which can make bones healthy and strong ( 4 ) ( 5 ).
4. For the heart
To make the heart function better, fenugreek is recommended. People who consume fenugreek regularly may reduce their chances of having a heart attack and even if an attack occurs, a fatal condition can be avoided. Various researches have found that heart attack is a major reason behind mortality. This happens when the arteries of the heart get blocked. At the same time, fenugreek seeds may be able to protect from this condition. Even if someone has a heart attack, fenugreek can act to prevent oxidative stress from occurring. The state of oxidative stress during a heart attack can prove fatal. Also fenugreek seeds can be helpful in balancing the blood flow in the body, due to which no obstruction can occur in the arteries ( 6). In such a situation, the benefits of eating fenugreek seeds include keeping the heart healthy.
5. beneficial in menstruation
Women undergo unbearable pain during menstruation. In this situation, if you are wondering what happens by eating fenugreek, then tell that in this situation, powder made from fenugreek seeds can work effectively in providing relief. Also fenugreek seeds can help in relieving other menstrual problems. Fenugreek seeds have antiinflammatory, analgesic, antispasmodic and diuretic properties. Scientific research has confirmed that these beneficial ingredients in fenugreek can help relieve menstrual pain, which in medical language is called Dysmenorrhea ( 7 ). Keep in mind that in case of menstruation, it should be taken only in small amounts on the advice of a doctor.
Cancer is a deadly disease, so it is better to avoid this problem. For this, benefits of fenugreek seeds can be seen. According to a medical research, fenugreek has anti-cancer effects, which can work to keep the cancer problem away ( 8 ). Yes, if someone is suffering from cancer, he should be treated by a doctor without any delay.
7. Increases breast milk
There is nothing better than mother’s milk for the newborn after delivery. In such a case, the breastfeeding woman can take herbal tea made from fenugreek or fenugreek seeds. A research on the NCBI website also states that fenugreek can be consumed to increase the quality and quantity of breast milk (9) . For the time being, further research needs to be done to know how fenugreek works in this regard.
8. For Weight Loss
If one wants to lose weight, using fenugreek can be helpful for this. Actually, fenugreek can act to prevent fat from accumulating in the body. A good amount of fiber is found in it, which can work to digest the diet as well as to keep the hunger calm. This can prevent the weight from increasing (10) . In addition, different types of polyphenols are found in fenugreek, which can lead to weight loss ( 11 ). Therefore, it can be said that the benefits of eating fenugreek can be for weight loss.
9. Improve blood pressure
High blood pressure can cause a variety of diseases, including heart problems. The medicinal properties of fenugreek may help reduce this problem. According to a scientific research, fenugreek has an antihypertensive effect, which can work to reduce the problem of blood pressure (12) .
10. Healthy Kidney
In many scientific researches, medicine has been made that fenugreek is beneficial for kidney. Kidney can work well by adding fenugreek to your diet. Fenugreek seeds contain polyphenolic flavonoids, which help the kidney function better. It also creates a protective shield around the kidney, which can avoid its cell damage. This is confirmed by a research available from NCBI ( 13 ).
11. To reduce swelling
Fenugreek seeds can be beneficial in eliminating inflammation and its problems. Actually, linoleic and linoleic acid are found in fenugreek seeds. Petroleum ether extracts of this acid have antiinflammatory activity, which can act to relieve inflammation. We have also mentioned this in the part of Arthritis above. This information is available in a scientific research published on the NCBI website (14) . Therefore, the benefits of fenugreek seeds include relief from inflammation.
12. To increase testosterone
If anyone is wondering what happens by eating fenugreek, then here we can tell that testosterone can be increased by its consumption. According to a research, fenugreek properties are considered useful in the regulation of hormones. Fenugreek increases testosterone levels by stopping the production of estrogen in the body. Increasing testosterone levels in the male’s body leads to muscle development and an increase in physical ability (15) .
13. For Skin
Fenugreek can also be considered beneficial for the skin. A scientific study published on the NCBI website shows that fenugreek has antioxidant, anti-wrinkle, moisturizing and skin-smoothing properties (16) . Therefore, the benefits of fenugreek can be seen on the skin.
14. For hair
The use of fenugreek can prevent hair fall. According to a medical research, fenugreek seeds are rich in protein, which is necessary for hair. This can help treat baldness, thinning hair and hair loss. Apart from this, fenugreek also contains lecithin, which can naturally strengthen and moisturize the hair. It can also keep dandruff away (10) . In such a situation, the benefits of fenugreek powder can be seen on the hair.
Keep reading this article
Now we will know what nutritious ingredients are in fenugreek and their quantity.
Fenugreek seeds nutritional value
Fenugreek contains a variety of nutrients, to understand which we are using a table (17) .
|NUTRIENTS||PRICE PER 100 GRAMS|
|Total Lipid (Fat)||6.41 g|
|Calcium, Ca||176 mg|
|Iron, Fe||33.53 mg|
|Magnesium, Mg||191 mg|
|Phosphorus, P||296 mg|
|Potassium, K||770 mg|
|Sodium, Na||67 mg|
|Zinc, Zn||2.5 mg|
|Manganese, Mn||1.228 mg|
|Selenium, Se||6.3 µg|
|vitamin C||3 mg|
|Vitamin B6||0.6 mg|
|Vitamin A, RAE||3 µg|
|Vitamin A, IU||60 IU|
|Fatty acid, total saturated||1.46 g|
In this part of the article we will explain what can be the way to eat fenugreek.
How to use Fenugreek seeds
Ayurveda says that fenugreek seeds are hot. Consuming it directly may result in loss of benefits. Therefore, fenugreek seeds should be soaked in water for some time, so that its heat decreases. After this, fenugreek seeds should be used.
When and how to use:
- Fry the fenugreek seeds on medium flame for a minute or two and then put it on the vegetable or salad. It can be used in afternoon or dinner.
- Soak one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in water overnight and consume them with a glass of water the next morning. You can also consume the water in which fenugreek seeds were soaked in the morning on an empty stomach.
- After soaking fenugreek seeds overnight in water, tie them in a cloth. Fenugreek seeds will sprout after a few days. Then it can be consumed in the morning.
- It can be consumed by making fenugreek parathas and rotis. Its paratha can be taken in the morning breakfast.
- Herbal tea of fenugreek seeds can also be drunk. Put fenugreek seeds in water and boil it. Lemon and honey can be added to it for taste. It can be drunk in the morning and evening.
How much to use:
- In a condition like diabetes, it can be taken from 25 to 50 grams per day. Nevertheless, it would be better to take recourse to your dietician to know its exact amount (18) .
Let us now know how fenugreek can be kept safe for a long time.
How to preserve fenugreek for a long time
- Green leaves of fenugreek can be stored in the refrigerator and kept safe for a few days.
- The leaves of its leaves can be wrapped in cloth and kept safe for one to two days.
- If there is fenugreek seeds, it can be stored safely in an air tight container.
Let us now know which people should keep distance from fenugreek.
Who should not eat fenugreek
Some people should avoid consuming fenugreek, which is as follows:
- Low blood sugar patients should avoid fenugreek intake, as it has a hypoglycemic effect (2) .
- Fenugreek has an antihypertensive effect, which can lower blood pressure (12) . Therefore, those whose blood pressure is low, they should avoid it.
- Pregnant should not consume it. If they still have to eat fenugreek, then definitely talk to the doctor in this regard.
Now in this part of the article we will learn how eating fenugreek can be harmful.
Ingredients of Fenugreek – Side Effects of Fenugreek Seeds
There is no doubt that fenugreek seeds are excellent for health. Including it in your diet can have many health benefits, but there are many advantages as well as its disadvantages. In some cases, it can cause many problems. Here we are explaining about the loss from fenugreek.
- Diarrhea: Although fenugreek seeds are good for the digestive system, but sometimes it also causes diarrhea. Eating more fenugreek than course can cause stomach upset and diarrhea. If breastfeeding women have stomach upset by eating it, it can also cause diarrhea in the infant. Therefore, cease its use as soon as you see any such symptoms.
- Uterine contractions: As mentioned earlier in this article, fenugreek rash is hot. If a pregnant woman consumes it excessively, then problems like premature uterine contractions can be encountered. Fenugreek seeds contain oxytocin, which causes uterine contractions. Therefore, pregnant women should consume fenugreek seeds only on the advice of a doctor.
- Allergies: Some people may be allergic to fenugreek rash. This allergy can be seen as swelling on the face. At the same time, some may have rashes on the body, may have problems like breathlessness and some even become unconscious. Apart from this, many people start complaining of chest pain due to consuming fenugreek. It is hot in the effect, so some people complain of piles, gas and acidity (19) . Also, if someone is eating medicine for some disease, then they must consult their doctor before consuming fenugreek seeds.
- Harmful to children : Fenugreek rash has not been considered safe for children. We have already told that eating it can cause diarrhea. At the same time, drinking its herbal tea is also not good for children, because it can affect their brain capacity. Therefore, it is better not to give fenugreek supplements to children. If you want to give, then you can give it in vegetables on the advice of the doctor.
Of course fenugreek seeds are small in appearance, but its benefits are many, about which you have come to know through this article. Also, fenugreek can cause harm, you have got information about it here too. Therefore, now add fenugreek to your routine without delay. Keep in mind that eat them limited and regularly and get good health. We hope that the information given in this article of ours will prove useful to you. You can also read other articles on health related.