Some fruits are such that they look delicious as fruits, but after drying they prove to be more beneficial for health. Figs are also one of the same fruits. It is eaten in both fruit and dry fruit. This fruit is as tasty as it is also beneficial. Therefore, in this article of stylecrase, it is explained in relation to fig. This article not only explains the benefits of figs for health, but also explains how to consume it. The article also highlights the negative aspects associated with its use. This article is important for the information related to the consumption of figs, so definitely read it till the end.
Below is detailed information
Let us first know what a fig is.
What is fig
In English it is called Fig, while its scientific name is Ficus carica. It is scientifically believed that this tree belongs to the species Ficus and is a member of the mulberry family. The color of its fruit is light yellow, while after ripening it may be dark golden or purple.
The bark of fig tree is smooth and white in color. Its tree mainly grows rapidly in dry and sunny places and the roots are very deep. It can also flourish easily in the hilly region. The height of its tree can be up to 7-10 meters. It is believed that a fig tree is around 100 years old. These are found in abundance in the Himalayas and Shivalik areas. People living in Iran, India and Middle-East countries consume it in large quantities.
Further in the article, we know how many types of this are there.
Types of Figs
Many species of figs are found worldwide and are known by about 700 different names. Each type has its own distinct taste and sweetness. The benefits of eating figs can be almost the same. The most prevalent types of figs are as follows (1) .
- Black Mission (Black Mission) : is it black or light purple outside, while pink inside. This fig is not only sweet to eat, but it also contains juice. It can be used to enhance the taste of cake or food.
- Kadota : This fig is green in color and has a purple pulp. It is the least sweet of all varieties of figs. It can be eaten raw, but it can also be eaten by heating it and adding a little salt over it.
- Calimyrna : It is greenish-yellow from outside. Its size is larger than other varieties and its taste is also different.
- Brown Turkey : The exterior color of this fig is purple and the pulp is red. It tastes lighter and less sweet. It is used to enhance the taste of salad.
- Adriatic : Its outer layer is light green and pink inside. Due to its light color, it is also called white fig. It is the sweetest and can be eaten as a fruit.
Keep reading article
In the article further, we know what the benefits of figs can be.
Benefits of Figs
Health can be maintained with the use of figs. Also, if there is a disease, the symptoms can be reduced to some extent. Yes, if someone is seriously ill, then it would be right to seek medical treatment at this stage. Here we are showing with scientific proof how fig is beneficial. Some of these research has been done on animals.
1. Benefits of figs for digestion and constipation
Consuming figs can make the digestive system work well and the problem of constipation can be avoided. To improve the digestive system, soak two-three figs in water for overnight and eat the same morning or next with honey.
Fiber is needed to improve the digestive system and relieve constipation. At the same time, figs are rich in fiber. Therefore, when the fig is consumed, the fiber in it can help to collect and excrete feces. Being able to clean the stomach, figs can be beneficial for the stomach. This is confirmed by a research paper published on the website of NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information) (2) (3) .
2. Benefits of figs for heart
A test conducted on mice has shown that consuming figs can improve lipid profiles. In this research, it has been observed that the consumption of figs increases the high density lipoprotein (HDL-C) beneficial for the heart. This property of FIG can reduce adipogenic risk to the heart from fat cells (4) .
3. FIG advantages for reduced weight
If someone is thinking about losing weight, then fig can help. Figs are high in fiber and low in calories. Also, dried fig fruits have very little fat (0.56%). Therefore, it can be helpful in weight loss (5) . This is why the benefit of eating figs also includes the occurrence of weight gain.
4. Benefits of figs for cholesterol
Hypolipidemic effect is found in fig leaves, due to which it can decrease lipid serum levels called triglyceride and increase in good cholesterol (HDL) (6) . At the same time, another research confirms that the consumption of figs does not change the levels of harmful cholesterol (LDL), triglyceride, and total cholesterol (7) . On the basis of these two studies, it can be said that more research is still needed to find out what are the benefits of FIG for cholesterol.
5. Benefits of figs for liver
Along with fig fruit, its leaves can also be good for health, as fig tree leaves have been found to be effective in keeping the liver healthy. This is confirmed by a research paper published on the NCBI website. According to this research, fig leaves have hepatoprotective (liver protection) properties, which can protect the liver from harmful substances. For healthy liver powder of fig leaves can be consumed. Also, fig leaves can be made by making tea (8) .
6. Benefits of FIG for diabetes
There are many such beneficial ingredients in fig leaves, which is beneficial for diabetic patients. A research done on mice shows that ethyl acetate extract is found in fig leaves. It may show antidiabetic effects by stimulating insulin production via pancreatic beta cells. Therefore, the benefits of eating figs include avoidance of diabetes (9) .
You can make tea by eating fig leaves to reduce the effect of diabetes. Boil four-five leaves of fig in hot water and drink it after boiling. Also, dry fig leaves first and then grind them to powder. Now make tea of this powder and drink it.
7. Benefits of figs in cancer prevention
Cancer is a deadly disease and its treatment needs to go through extensive medical procedure, but this serious disease can be avoided by taking care of food and routine. The use of figs can be helpful in preventing cancer. Fig fruit may reduce the risk of stomach and breast cancer (10) .
According to another research, Proterozoic enzyme is found in the latex of fig, which has anticancer effect. Therefore, cancer cell lines may be sensitive to this. From this it can be speculated that the intake of figs can impede the growth of cancer cells present in the stomach (11) . According to a research conducted on mice, the latex of figs can inhibit tumor growth. Therefore, cancer can be avoided by regular consumption of figs (12) .
8. Benefits of figs for bones
Figs can be considered a good source of calcium, potassium and magnesium. All these qualities are necessary to strengthen the bones of the body. The beneficial elements of figs can work effectively on bones, which can increase their strength. There is no doubt that calcium is necessary for bones . This is why it is advisable to eat figs for the health of bones, because calcium is found in abundance in figs (13) (14) .
9. Benefits of figs for blood pressure
It has been confirmed in many scientific researches that if figs are consumed regularly, blood pressure can be kept balanced. The flavonoids, phenols, and potassium found in fig can reduce and balance hypertension and keep it balanced. By keeping blood pressure balanced, fig compounds can also be effective in protecting against chronic heart diseases. However, further research needs to be done to find out which compounds can keep blood pressure normal (15) .
10. Source of energy
The body needs energy for a day’s run. To maintain this energy, it may be better to include figs in your diet along with food. Dried figs contain 249 calories, which can give the body enough energy (7) . Therefore, the benefits of eating figs also include keeping energy levels better.
11. Antioxidant Properties of FIG
Properties of figs have been considered as the major source of antioxidants. Due to its antioxidant effect, figs can protect against many diseases by eliminating free radicals in the body. Consuming figs increases the antioxidant capacity in the body. This may reduce antioxidant effects of oxidative stress in the body. Thus, it can be said that this quality of fig can be beneficial for the body. Research available from NCBI also states that figs must be included in their diets (16) .
12. Benefits of eating figs for sexual strength
While the use of figs can prevent all kinds of diseases, it can increase fertility and sexual power. According to a study published on the NCBI website, infusion of fig leaves can increase the quality and number of sperm. The antioxidant properties found in it can protect the sperm from any kind of damage (17) . At the same time, the consumption of dried figs can also improve women’s fertility (18) (19) . Yes, if someone’s problem is serious, then they must get treatment by a doctor.
13. Benefits of eating figs to increase immunity
If our immunity is not good, then many diseases surround our body. Therefore, if the immunity is to be improved , the use of figs may be beneficial for that. A compound called polysaccharide is found in fig, which has an immunomodulator effect. The immunomodulator works to improve immunity. Therefore, it may be beneficial to consume figs daily (20) .
14. Properties of figs in preventing wrinkles
Untimely wrinkles on the face prove to be a stain on beauty. Figs can be used to avoid this. Juice of fig fruit can reduce the levels of skin melanin and sebum (a type of oil released from the body). Also it can keep the skin hydrated. Therefore, figs can be used as a treatment for hyper pigmentation, pimples and wrinkles (21) .
15. Benefits of figs for hair
Hair loss often starts due to nutritional deficiency. According to a research conducted on mice, a formula prepared by mixing figs with natural ingredients like coconut oil and soybean can stimulate hair growth by increasing the production of beta-carotene (22) . At the same time, research in one has found that extracts of fig leaves can be beneficial in preventing problems like androgenic allopia (a type of baldness). The antiinflammatory and anti-androgen properties present in it can be helpful in keeping hair healthy (23) .
How to use : Mix two spoons of gram flour in two spoons of curd and prepare a paste. Mix 10 drops of fig oil in this paste. Now apply this paste on your entire hair and leave it for an hour. After this wash the hair with good shampoo. This will make the hair long, thick and strong.
Keep reading article
Let us know further what nutrients are found in figs.
Figs Nutritional Value
The elements found in figs which are important for human health are explained below through the table (24) .
|ELEMENT||QUANTITY PER 100 GRAMS|
|Total lipid (fat)||0.3 grams|
|Vitamin C (total ascorbic acid)||2 mg|
|Lutein + xanthine||9 micrograms|
Further in the article, know how to use fig to get nutrients.
How to Use Figs
As mentioned in the beginning of this article, figs can be eaten either as a fruit or by drying them. To get the medicinal properties of fig, it can be eaten in various ways as described here.
- The right way to eat fig is to eat it either or you can eat it by peeling.
- Dry figs are easy to take with you anywhere. So, if you are going on a trip, you can take the figs with you.
- It can also be eaten by adding it to sandwiches or salads. This will not only enhance the taste of sandwiches and salads, but will also provide essential nutrients.
- Fresh fig fruit can also be eaten by garnishing it over cake or ice cream.
- Dried figs contain more sugar than fresh ones. Therefore, if you make a sweet dish at home, you can use it instead of sugar. This will not only enhance the taste of the sweet dish, but it will also provide the necessary nutrients by eating it.
- Figs can also be used while making cakes, puddings and jams etc.
- Dried figs are also used when making muesli bars and porridge. It is included in the way of eating figs.
- Dry figs can also be added to the soup.
- At various places, a paste of figs can be used instead of sugar.
After knowing how to eat figs, the article further knows how to keep figs safe for a long time.
How to preserve figs for a long time?
Fresh figs are delicate, so mostly dried figs are used. Let us know how to keep both types of figs safe.
- The shelf life (ie expiry date) of fresh figs is not much longer. Therefore, when you buy them from the market, immediately cover them well in a zip pouch or plastic bag and keep them in the refrigerator.
- A little ripe fig fruit can be kept at room temperature. Just keep in mind that they do not come in contact with the sun’s rays until they are fully cooked.
- Keep in mind that fresh fig fruits spoil quickly, so try to finish them in two-three days.
- Dried figs can be stored and stored for a long time. Then whether you keep it in the fridge or in a dry and dry place.
- Figs can be stored in sealed containers for more than three months.
- Figs also come in sealed cans, which have a shelf life of around 6 months, but once the can is opened they should be finished in a week.
- The right way to eat figs is to always wash them .
Where to buy figs?
Figs are easily found in any supermarket. Before buying figs, it is better to check that these fruits are not spoiled. Also, if you are buying dried figs, check their expiry date. Always avoid branded and reliable company figs to avoid adulteration and counterfeit products.
Later in the article we introduce you to the ill effects of figs.
Side Effects of Figs
Consumption of figs in large amounts can also cause harm, which is as follows:
- The fig should be consumed in balanced quantity, otherwise the sugar present in it can cause obesity.
- Those with high blood pressure are advised to eat figs, so that the amount of blood glucose and insulin can be balanced. Therefore, those with low blood pressure should consume it by asking the doctor, otherwise their blood pressure may be further reduced (25) .
- Individuals with sensitive skin may have occasional irritation and itching problems with fig leaves. An element called furocomorins present in it can cause skin problems (26) .
- Some people may also be allergic to eating figs, so ask your doctor once before eating it (27) .
This article describes how beneficial figs can be for health naturally. How to eat figs is also included in this article. Information given in this article about figs along with facts will definitely be useful to the readers. From this information, it is concluded that fig can provide many nutrients to the body. Also there are advantages of figs as well as disadvantages of figs. Therefore, before consuming figs, please ask your doctor once and also know how you should consume it. To make people aware about the medicinal properties of figs, definitely share this article with your friends.