Every nutrient has its own different role in the body. One of these nutrients is calcium. To strengthen bones and teeth, it is necessary to include calcium rich foods in the food. Apart from this, it also plays an important role in maintaining muscles better. There are many other benefits of calcium, which you will learn about in this article. In this article of stylecrase, we will talk about the causes, symptoms and side effects of calcium deficiency in the body. The information given in this article is based on various researches.
Read further for information
Here first we are telling you who is called calcium deficiency.
What is calcium deficiency What is Calcium Deficiency?
Researchers have done many researches in this regard. This research has been published on the website of NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology). The daily requirement of calcium for everyone in research is described as follows:
- 700 mg daily for ages 1 to 3
- 1,000 mg per day at 4 to 8 years old
- 1,300 mg per day from 9 to 13 years old
- 1,300 mg daily in 14 to 18 years
- 1,000 mg per day from 19 to 50 years old
- 1,000 mg daily for 51- to 70-year-old men
- 1,200 mg daily for 51- to 70-year-old women
- 1200 mg daily in those over 70 and
- 1,000 mg per day for women aged 19 to 50 (pregnant / lactating)
When less calcium-rich foods are consumed than this amount , then there is a lack of calcium in the body. This condition is called calcium deficiency (hypocalcemia ).
Read further in the article about the reasons behind calcium deficiency.
Causes of calcium deficiency – Causes of Calcium Deficiency
There can be several reasons for calcium deficiency, which are:
- Inadequate calcium intake: Calcium deficiency can occur due to not consuming enough calcium-rich foods daily or not using calcium supplements. This may cause problems such as bone weakness, muscle spasms, blood vessel contractions, cardiac problems, and a bad effect on the ability of the nervous system .
- Due to nutritional deficiencies: A research found that nutrients like Vitamin-D, Magnesium and Phosphorus increase the absorption of calcium in the body. Therefore, deficiency of these nutrients can also reduce calcium levels in the body. Milk and other rich products are rich sources of vitamin-D, phosphorus and magnesium. In addition, sunlight in the morning has also been considered a good source of vitamin-D.
- Menopause: According to research, estrogen helps maintain calcium within bones. Estrogen levels decline after menopause, causing bones to weaken.
- Age: As age increases, the body becomes weak in absorbing calcium from foods. Therefore, elderly people require a high amount of calcium.
- Hypocalcemia: In addition, hypocalcemia is also a condition in which the calcium level in the fluid part of the blood or plasma decreases below average.
- Hypoparathyroidism: This is the condition when the secretion of parathyroid hormone decreases. In this situation the calcium level present in the blood decreases and the level of phosphorus (hyperphosphatemia) increases. Parathyroid hormone works to maintain the balance of calcium and phosphorus levels in the body.
After knowing the reasons, here we are talking about the symptoms of calcium deficiency.
Symptoms of calcium deficiency – Symptoms of Calcium Deficiency
It is natural for everyone to get into the mind of how to find out less calcium in the body. In response to this, we are talking about the symptoms of calcium deficiency, which are as follows:
- Tingling in the lips, tongue, fingers and feet: The most common symptom is tingling and numbness around the mouth. In addition, symptoms include numbness of lips and tingling or pricking sensation in fingers.
- Muscle spasms and weakness: Muscle spasms can be caused by malfunction of parathyroid glands and calcium deficiency. In addition hypocalcemia can also cause muscle weakness.
- Epilepsy: Epileptic seizures can also be one of the symptoms of calcium deficiency.
- Sudden cramps in the vocal cord in the throat.
After the symptoms of calcium deficiency, know about the disease caused by calcium deficiency.
Calcium deficiency diseases – Calcium Deficiency Diseases
According to a research published on the NCBI website, calcium deficiency can cause many health problems. Calcium deficiency diseases are as follows .
- Osteoporosis: Osteoporosis is a condition in which the amount of minerals rapidly decreases in the bones. Due to this the bones become so weak that they can increase the risk of fracture and fracture. This problem is common in the elderly and women.
- Heart disease: Consuming sufficient calcium can provide protection against heart disease and stroke. Thus, calcium deficiency can pose a cardiovascular risk.
- High blood pressure: Calcium deficiency disease also includes the risk of high blood pressure.
- Cancer: Calcium deficiency can cause colon or rectum cancer and increase the risk of prostate cancer.
In this part of the article, we are telling you about calcium rich foods.
Calcium rich foods – Calcium Diet
Calcium-rich foods can be beneficial to overcome calcium deficiency. Here we are based on a research paper published on NCBI website, which foods are rich in calcium.
- Green vegetables: Green vegetables can be a good source of calcium. They can be beneficial in meeting calcium deficiency. A good amount of calcium is found in broccoli, bananas and spinach.
- Fruits: Apart from vegetables, fruits have also been considered as a good source of calcium. Orange is the best among these fruits. About 50 mg of calcium is found in medium-sized oranges.
- Seafood: Apart from vegetables and fruits, seafood is also found in calcium. About 90 grams of calcium are found in about 90 grams of sardines, 205 mg in salmon fish and 10 mg in tuna.
- Dairy Products: A good amount of calcium is also found in many types of dairy products. 415 milligrams of calcium is found in 1 cup of milk and 295 milligrams in 1 cup of curd. In addition, half a cup of ice cream contains 85 mg and half a cup of cottage cheese contains up to 75 mg of calcium.
Apart from these foods, a good amount of calcium is also found in grains, meat, beans and many types of dry fruits.
There is something special
In this part of the article, we will learn how to treat calcium deficiency.
Calcium deficiency treatment – Calcium Deficiency Treatment
In order to avoid problems caused by calcium deficiency, treatment of calcium deficiency should be done as soon as possible. Here we are talking about the treatment to overcome calcium deficiency.
- Calcium and vitamin D supplements may be given orally to correct calcium levels.
- Thiazide can treat with diuretics. This sulfur-rich drug, which increases the excretion of sodium and chloride.
- It can be treated with phosphate binders and a low salt and low-phosphorus diet. Phosphate binders are a type of drug used to reduce the absorption of phosphate in the body.
- Supplements of calcium and vitamin-D can be taken to treat hypoparathyroidism.
Apart from this, calcium deficiency can also be treated with calcium intake, calcium supplements and injections given by the doctor. To avoid serious problems with calcium deficiency, it is best to have your doctor checked.
After treatment, we are telling about the solution to avoid calcium deficiency.
Prevention Tips for Calcium Deficiency – Prevention Tips for Calcium Deficiency
To avoid calcium deficiency disease, it would be better to avoid this problem beforehand. It is necessary for him to have sufficient amount of calcium in the body. Here we are talking about some easy ways to avoid calcium deficiency.
- Dairy products: Include dairy products i.e. milk, curd and cheese etc. in your diet every day. Lactose-free yogurt and cheese can also be good choices. Calcium is found in these products.
- Green leafy vegetables: You can include green leafy vegetables like broccoli, cabbage and spinach in your diet.
- Fish: In case of calcium, sardines and salmon can be consumed.
- Nuts: A handful of nuts can be consumed as a snack daily.
- Do not consume caffeine, soft drinks and alcohol: all these inhibit calcium absorption.
- Sesame seeds: Contains a good amount of calcium.
You learned about calcium deficiency through this article. Along with this, information about calcium deficiency diseases and measures to avoid them was also obtained. Here we will suggest you that calcium deficiency should be removed as soon as possible and a diet rich in nutrients should be consumed. Along with good nutrition, it is also important to exercise regularly to avoid diseases. For other health information, keep reading Stylecrase.