Someone has told the truth, as long as there is breath, there is hope. It has been observed that many times people ignore the problem of shortness of breath. In such a situation, they forget that breathlessness can also be a symptom of a serious illness. Keeping this in mind, we have chosen the topic of this article of StyleCrease and the solution to the problem of breathlessness. The purpose of this article is not only to look into the cause of breathlessness but also to give information about the home remedy of breathlessness. Keep reading this article for maximum information about this problem of breathlessness.
First of all, what is breathlessness?
What is shortness of breath
Breathlessness is a condition when a person does not get enough oxygen and has trouble breathing. During this time one feels restlessness and chest tightness. This problem can also be caused by a common cause (eg sprinting or stair climbing) or due to some serious physical problem ( 1 ) ( 2 ) ( 3 ). Breathlessness is also known as dyspnea. Further important information related to this problem has been shared in the article.
Learn further in the article what may be the causes of breathlessness.
Causes of shortness of breath
As we mentioned above, breathlessness can also be common, but if this problem is occurring again and again, it can also be a sign of some serious disease. Below we are giving information about the causes of breathlessness.
Some common causes of breathlessness –
- Exercise more
- Go to a high place
- Changes in weather (too hot or too cold)
Some serious causes of breathlessness –
- Lung related disease (eg bronchitis, asthma or lung cancer)
- Respiratory infections (eg due to colds or colds )
- Anemia (anemia)
- Heart disease can be a symptom .
- Heart attack
- Blood clotting in lungs.
- Any kind of injury to the neck, chest or lungs.
- Pericardial Effusion – accumulation of fluid around the heart
- Pleural Effusion – accumulation of fluid around the lungs
- Some kind of severe allergic reaction
- Causes of panic attack (sudden anxiety or increased tension)
Knowing the causes of breathlessness is also very important to know about the symptoms of breathlessness. In this part of the article, we are trying to give information about this.
Symptoms of shortness of breath
Know below what are the symptoms of breathlessness ( 3 ).
- Take a quick breath.
- Trouble breathing while sleeping and feeling the need to sit and breathe.
- Worry and discomfort
- Lethargy and confusion
There may be some other symptoms as well –
- to sweat
- Have fever
- Have a cold
- Have difficulty speaking
- to sweat
After knowing the symptoms of breathlessness, now comes the time to know the home remedy of breathlessness.
Home Remedies for Shortness of Breath
If suddenly there is a problem of breathlessness in the home or outside, then the below mentioned home remedies for breathlessness can be helpful for the person.
1. Pursed-lip breathing
How to do
- Relax the muscles of your neck and shoulders.
- Sit on a comfortable chair and keep your soles close to the ground.
- Now breathe slowly through your nose for a few seconds.
- Feel the air in your stomach and try to fill your stomach with air instead of lungs.
- Shrink lips such as whistle blowers or candle blowers.
- Then slowly exhale through the mouth.
- Do this process two to three times.
This process can prove to be helpful in breathing. Actually, in this process less energy has to be used to breathe. Also, this process slows breathing, which can help to some extent in the problem of shortness of breath ( 5 ). In addition, a research published on the website of NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information) has revealed that pursed lip breathing exercise can be beneficial in the problem of shortness of breath after physical exertion ( 6 ) ( 7 ).
According to another research, this exercise may work to improve air circulation in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (a group of lung diseases that cause trouble breathing) ( 8 ) ( 9 ) ( 10 ). It is also necessary to have an expert while doing this exercise ( 11 ). At the same time, another research by NCBI in this subject has also revealed that no improvement was found in this exercise in patients with ILD (Interstitial Lung Disease – lung problem) ( 12 ).
2. Use of fan
Home remedies for breathlessness also include the use of a fan. Indeed, a research conducted on patients with lung cancer has shown relief in breathing problems with the use of a hand-held fan ( 13 ) ( 14 ). At the moment, more research is still needed on this topic.
3. Sit at the table
Talking about home remedies for breathlessness, it also includes the way a person sits. For this, sit on a comfortable chair and keep your soles close to the ground. Also place a pillow on a table in front and then place your head on the pillow and hands on the table and breathe in this posture for a while. By doing this, the body can relax and breathe easily. At the moment, no precise scientific evidence exists as to how this can provide relief.
Further, we know how to treat shortness of breath.
Shortness Of Breath Treatment
Know below what other treatment can be done besides home remedies for breathlessness. Let us tell you that the treatment of breathlessness depends on its severity and type of disease ( 15 ) ( 16 ).
- If the person smokes or uses any type of tobacco, the doctor will advise him to stop.
- If the person has problems related to breathing or lungs, the doctor may recommend them to inhalers or oxygen therapy.
- If the amount of oxygen in a person’s body is low, then the doctor may recommend taking oxygen supplementation therapy regularly.
- If the patient is having trouble breathing due to any medicine, then the doctor can advise to discontinue those medicines.
- If the patient is having trouble breathing due to any heart related problem, the doctor will proceed with the related treatment.
- If the problem of breathing is due to the increasing weight, then the doctor may recommend exercise or yoga. Losing weight can provide considerable relief from this problem.
- If there is a psychological reason behind the problem of shortness of breath, doctors may prescribe psychological counseling with antidepressant medicines (Selective Serotonin Receptor Inhibitor).
Shortness of breath can be painful. In such a situation, it is important that information about its rescue is kept. In this part of the article, we are giving information about this to the readers.
Prevention of shortness of breath – Prevention Tips for Shortness of Breath
Know below how to prevent breathlessness ( 3 ).
- If someone has asthma or allergy problems, then they should stay away from allergies.
- Get the children vaccinated against the cold.
- Do not smoke, if someone is smoking then move away from there.
- If traveling by private car, stop the car in between and take a walk outside.
- If someone is overweight then do regular exercise and yoga and try to lose weight.
- Wear a mask before venturing into a polluted environment.
- Keep cleanliness in the house, so as not to get dust and dirt and prevent allergies.
Shortness of breath can be a serious problem. In such a situation, it is important that the person get treatment for breathlessness in time. Also, keep in mind that the home remedies given in this article can give relief from the problem of common breathlessness. Do not forget to get medical treatment in severe breathing problem. Also, to avoid this problem, follow the suggested prevention tips as well. Do not forget to tell us how you liked this article. Also, for the questions and suggestions related to this article, you can take help of the comment box given below.