People whose mouth smells bad, they have to face embarrassment in front of others. There can be many reasons behind this smell. Among them is pyorrhea, which is a serious health problem. It is a disease associated with the mouth, which can have a negative effect on the gums and teeth. In this article on StyleCrease we will explain the causes of pyorrhea, home remedies for pyorrhea and how to prevent pyorrhea. The home remedies described here can not only prevent pyorrhea from occurring, but can also reduce its symptoms in the event of pyorrhea. At the same time, if someone’s problem is serious, then they should get medical treatment.
First of all it is important for you to know what is pyorrhea.
Table of contents
What is pyorrhea? – What is Periodontitis
The question that arises in the minds of many people is what is pyorrhea? Actually, it is a disease related to mouth health, which can cause damage to the gums and teeth. Pyorrhea is also known as gum disease. This disease affects the tissues supporting the teeth. If left untreated, pyorrhea disease can be very severe, which can cause gums to become weakened by the tooth and may even break and fall (1) .
Let us now know what types of pyreas can occur.
Types of Periodontitis (Gum Disease)
Pyorrhea can be of the following types (2) .
- Gingivitis – This is the most common form of pyorrhea. In this condition, the gums may swell and may appear red. During cleaning teeth daily, blood can also come out of these.
Mild periodontitis – If untreated gingivitis, it may cause mild pyorrhea. In this condition, the gums begin to leave their place around the teeth. This can cause quick damage to the bone around the teeth.
- Severe pyreitis ( gonorrhea ) – This is the most serious condition of gum disease. In this, the bones supporting the teeth start to get damaged. At the same time, teeth start to become loose.
In this part of the article, you are being told about various causes of pyorrhea.
Causes of pyorrhea – Causes of Periodontitis (pyria)
By the way, bacteria is the main cause of pyorrhea. These bacteria form plaques, which, if not cleaned, can become tartar and take the form of pyorrhea. Apart from this, there may be following reasons for pyorrhea (3) :
- To smoke
- Having diabetes problem.
- Causes of hormonal changes in girls and women.
- Due to some diabetes medicines that reduce the flow of saliva.
- Some diseases, such as AIDS etc.
- Also due to genetic.
Let us now know about the symptoms of pyorrhea.
Symptoms of pyorrhea – Symptoms of Periodontitis
Pyorrhea can be identified by the following symptoms (3) :
- Stinky breath, which is persistent.
- Gums appear in red.
- Red or swollen gums
- Bleeding gums.
- Gums become more soft.
- Pain when chewing anything.
- Loosening of teeth.
- Feeling of sensitivity in teeth.
- Gums move inward and teeth appear longer.
This part of the article talks about home remedies for pyorrhea.
Home Remedies for Periodontitis
There are several types of home remedies available for pyorrhea, which are described below. Also, we should clarify here that these home remedies can only help in recovering from the problem. At the same time, if the condition is severe, then it cannot prove to be adequate treatment. At this stage, it is necessary to get a doctor’s checkup.
1. Baking Soda
Pyorrhea can also be treated with baking soda. According to a scientific study released by the NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information), baking soda has a property called dentifrices. This property can help reduce plaque and gingivitis from the teeth, which can help avoid the risk of pyorrhea (4) .
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of baking soda.
- Now make a paste by mixing a few drops of water in it.
- Now clean your teeth with this toothpaste.
- This process can be used once every two weeks.
- If you wish, you can also seek medical advice once before using it.
Salt can also help in solving the problem of pyorrhea. Although salt has long been used in the treatment of pyorrhea, but there are scientific reasons behind it. Actually, salt has anti-inflammatory properties. Due to this property, it can help in the treatment of pyorrhea, reducing inflammation of the gums (5) .
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of salt.
- Now mix two to three drops of mustard oil and make a paste.
- Then with a soft brush clean your teeth and gums with this paste.
- This treatment can be used once a week.
3. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil can also be used to overcome the problem of pyorrhea. Actually, lauric acid is found in coconut oil. This acid has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties. For this reason , the use of coconut oil can help to correct the problem of increased pyorrhea caused by plaque (6) . Oil pulling method is used for this.
How to use:
- Mix 5-6 drops of coconut oil in a cup of water.
- Then pour this mixture in the mouth and roll it well throughout the mouth.
- Keep it in the mouth for about 4-5 minutes.
- Then, by taking it out of the mouth, clean the mouth with a mouthwash.
- It can be used once a week on medical advice.
Note – Cleansing teeth through oil pulping with coconut oil can also have some side effects (6) . Therefore, instead of using this, other treatment methods mentioned in the article can be adopted. Apart from this, one can also consult a doctor.
Eating ginger can also help in the treatment of pyorrhea. According to a scientific research published on the NCBI website, ginger contains an organic compound called gingerol. Gingerol has anti-bacterial properties, which can actively work against pyorrhea bacteria (7) . This may help reduce the risk of pyorrhea.
How to use:
- Grind ginger with a little water and make a fine paste.
- Now add a pinch of salt to it.
- Then with the help of a brush, clean the teeth with a paste.
- After this, rinse with water and clean the mouth thoroughly.
- This treatment method can be used once a week.
Basil can also show beneficial effect in curing pyorrhea. Actually, antiplaque effect is found in Tulsi (8) . This beneficial effect may help in the treatment of pyorrhea caused by plaque. According to another scientific study, basil has anti-gingivitis properties. This property can help in the treatment of pyorrhea by curing inflammation in the gums (9) . It can be used as a mouthwash.
How to use:
- Break fresh leaves of basil and wash it thoroughly with water.
- Now grind the basil leaves in a mortar and extract its extract.
- Then this extract can be used as a mouthwash.
- This treatment process can be done once a week.
6. Lemon Grass Oil
Lemon grass oil can also be a better option in the prevention of pyorrhea. Actually, chemical compounds such as citronellol, D-Limonene and Geraniol are found in Lemon grass oil. These compounds can help prevent bacteria causing a serious condition of pyorrhea. May also help reduce the risk of increased pyorrhea due to plaque (10) .
How to use:
- Take 4 five drops of lemongrass oil and mix it in a cup of water.
- Pour this mixture into the mouth and roll it well throughout the mouth.
- Spit after rolling it in the mouth for about 3 minutes.
- Now rinse with clean water and clean the mouth.
- This treatment method can be used twice a week on the advice of a doctor.
Cloves can also be used in home remedies for pyorrhea . Clove has antiplaque, antigingivitis and anti-bacterial properties, according to a medical report published on the NCBI website. Due to these actions it can reduce the risk of pyorrhea. Also, this action may show active effect in the treatment and prevention of pyorrhea (11) .
How to use:
- Finely grind 6-7 cloves in a grinder.
- Then mix two to three drops of Lemon Grass Oil and make a paste.
- Now brush with this paste for about 2 minutes.
- Then rinse with water and clean the mouth.
- This process can be used 1 time a week.
8. Black Pepper
Black pepper consumption can also have beneficial effects on mouth health. Actually, black pepper contains compounds such as pinenes, d-limonene and caryophylline. Due to these compounds, the consumption of black pepper can reduce the problem of bleeding from the gums (12) . Pepper paste can be used for this.
How to use:
- Soak 10-12 grains of black pepper in water overnight.
- The next morning grind the pepper finely in a grinder with water.
- Now take this paste in a bowl and mix two drops lemon grass oil in it.
- Then this paste can be used for cleaning teeth with the help of a soft brush.
- After that rinse with water.
- This process can be used once a week.
9. Tea Tree Oil
Symptoms of pyorrhea can also be reduced with tea tree oil. Tea tree oil has antiplaque, antigingivitis and anti-bacterial properties. All these properties can reduce the risk of pyorrhea. At the same time, if someone has pyorrhea, they can show beneficial results in prevention (11) .
How to use:
- It can be used as oil pulling.
- Mix 5-6 drops of tea tree oil well in a cup of water.
- If desired, you can also add a pinch of salt.
- Now pour this mixture in the mouth and roll it well throughout the mouth.
- Rinse it with water after rolling it in your mouth for about two minutes.
- This treatment can be repeated once a week.
10. Oil Pulling
Oil pulping has been used for teeth cleaning for a long time. This is a method in which teeth are cleaned with oil. For this, such oils are available at home, from which oil pulping can be done. Sunflower oil, sesame oil and coconut oil can be used for oil pulling (13) .
How to use:
- Any of the oils mentioned above can be used.
- Mix five to six drops of oil well in a cup of water.
- Then put this mixture in the mouth and rotate it well and spit after about two minutes.
- After this rinse with clean water.
- This home remedy can be used once a week.
It is also advisable to avoid certain foods when there is pyorrhea. Next we are talking about this.
What to avoid during periodontitis
The following foods should not be consumed in pyorrhea:
- Sweet fruits, such as dry fruits (14) .
- Sour flavored candy
- carbonated drinks
- Sour Fruits
- potato chips
Let us now know how to treat pyorrhea.
Treatment of pyorrhea – Treatment of periodontitis (Pyria)
Pyorrhea can be treated as follows (15) .
- Scaling or root planing – This is a thorough cleaning of teeth and gums. In this medical treatment, plaque and tartar (dirt present on the teeth) are cleaned from the top and bottom of the line of gums. This can cure pyorrhea.
- Some medications can be used, along with scaling and root planning, to prevent infection and inflammation in the mouth – through antibiotics . It can occur in many different types, ranging from medicated mouthwash to antibiotic-containing gels or fibers. Placing them in an empty space near the gums can help kill bacteria and heal gums slowly. Keep in mind that use it only on medical advice.
- With surgery – In severe cases of periodontitis, the dentist may also need to clean and clean the severely damaged gums. After this, the gums are closed by stitches around the teeth. It is only in a serious condition, so this condition can be avoided by having a doctor check up from time to time.
- Gingival grafting – If the gums have been badly affected due to tissue stitching, then the dentist can remove the bad gums. After this, the gum is removed from a healthy part of the mouth and applied in place of the removed gum.
Some measures can also be adopted to avoid pyorrhea, which are being discussed in this part of the article.
Prevention of pyorrhea – Prevention Tips for Periodontitis
The following rescue tips can be adopted to avoid pyorrhea (15) .
- Every morning and at night, you should brush for at least 3 minutes before sleeping.
- Should floss daily.
- Those who are not brushing or flossing properly, they can ask the dentist about the right way.
- Always brush with fluoride toothpaste.
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles.
- Change your toothbrush at least every 3 to 4 months. Outdated toothbrushes can damage the gums. Some toothbrushes also state the condition that changes it on their packets.
- Eat a healthy diet. Avoid snacks and junk food made from sugar. Eating such plaque can cause plaque on the teeth, which can cause pyorrhea.
- Do not smoke Smoking cigarettes and chewing tobacco can cause mouth irritation and are harmful to gums and teeth.
- Periodically get your doctor checked.
- Must get teeth cleaned at least twice a year. This may help reduce the risk of pyorrhea.
All the facts related to pyorrhea disease like causes, treatment and prevention have been tried to give complete information through this article. Although smoking is harmful to health, but it can also be the main cause of pyorrhea. Therefore, avoid smoking. The home remedies described in this article may not be the perfect treatment for pyorrhea, but can definitely help in reducing its symptoms. If you want any other information related to pyorrhea, you can send us your questions by writing them in the comment box below. We hope that our readers would have liked this article. We look forward to your response.