As the world is moving towards modernity, diseases are also spreading their legs. Increasing problems over time include a number of problems such as stroke, paralysis, epileptic seizures. Some diseases are so scary that a person is scared of death. A similar problem is panic attack. Many people are unaware of this problem, so they do not understand what is happening to them. For this reason, in this article of Stylecrase, we are giving detailed information based on various research regarding panic attack. What is panic attack, why does this problem start, we will tell all about them in the article. Along with this, we will also throw light on the symptoms of panic attack and ways to reduce it to some extent.
Let us first know what a panic attack is.
What is panic attack
A panic attack is a situation when a person’s sudden fear of a person becomes so much unknown that he realizes the danger of death. This attack can occur anywhere and at any time. “According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Health Disorder (DSM), there is intense fear and restlessness and a significant increase in a few minutes is called panic attack” (1) (2) . Panic attacks occur suddenly and periodically (3) . This attack comes to people with panic disorder, but not all people who have panic attacks have panic disorder (4) . This attack can also cause fatal results, so it is important that necessary information is kept in this regard. In the article, you will get to know its causes, symptoms, treatment and precautions to be taken.
Next in the article, we are now talking about the cause of panic attack.
Causes of Panic Attack
We are explaining below what can be the reason for sudden panic attack (2) (5) (6) .
- Genetic and environmental factors.
- Traumatic events occurred in childhood.
- Because of neural circuitry (the number of neurons in the brain).
- Abnormalities in body chemical imbalances, such as gamma-aminobutyric acid, cortisol, and serotonin.
- Fear and anxiety.
- Medications and conditions such as hyperthyroidism (production of more hormones by the thyroid gland) or vestibular dysfunction (ear and brain problems).
- Excess caffeine content.
- Alcohol and Drugs.
- Chronic hyperventilation (rapid breathing) problem.
We have already told you about the panic attack. Let us now know the symptoms of panic attack.
Symptoms of panic attack
During a panic attack, the person may feel some such physical symptoms (1) (2) .
- fast heartbeat.
- Pain in chest.
- to sweat.
- Difficulty in breathing or feeling like a choke.
- Choking (something stuck in the food or wind pipe).
- Chest pain.
- Abdominal pain or nausea.
- Feeling cold or hot.
- Feeling faint.
- Numbness or tingling of the body (Paresthesias).
- Derealization to realize what is not there.
- Fear of dying.
- Fear of losing control.
Now let’s take a look at how to reduce panic attacks.
Ways to stop a panic attack – ways to reduce panic attack
1. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil can be used in panic attacks. Lavender oil is believed to provide relief in conditions such as stress, anxiety and depression, which cause panic attacks. It also has antidepressant properties, which can help prevent panic attacks and relieve it (7) . For this, lavender oil can be inhaled and inhaled by putting it in an inhaler.
2. Muscles Relax
Relaxing the muscles can also reduce the symptoms to some extent from a panic attack. A research published on NCBI found a decrease in anxiety levels after relaxing the muscles (8) . In order to exercise the muscles that relax, the breathing and exhalation process must first be done. Let the muscles rest for a while to reduce stress (9) . If the person wants to, even on the advice of the doctor, you can adopt methods of relaxing the muscles.
In order to avoid panic attack and to get some relief from it, the below mentioned muscle relaxation tips can be adopted (10) (11) .
- Tighten the right and straight hand fist tightly.
- Now make the muscle pose by bringing the wrist of the right hand over the shoulder.
- Then repeat the same process with the other hand.
- After doing this, raise the eyebrows as much as possible.
- After this, close your eyes tightly.
- Open your mouth as much as you can, as the mouth opens while yawning.
- Bring the face forward and back your head slowly.
- Try to bring the shoulders closer to the ears, which will put a slight strain on the muscles.
- Turn the shoulders backward, so that the chest will appear outward.
- Take a deep breath, so that the lungs and chest fill the air.
- Strain the hip muscles.
- Tighten the right thigh.
- Carefully pull the toes towards you, thereby stretching the calf muscles.
- Now turn the right toes down.
- Then tighten the other thigh.
- Draw the left toes towards you, thereby stretching the calf’s muscles.
- Then turn the left toes down.
During every procedure of muscle relaxation, give the muscles a rest of about 10 seconds. Also, do not create too much pressure on the body during the procedure and do not panic.
3. do light exercise
Doing some light exercise can increase endorphin hormone levels. The endorphin hormone that increases with exercise is associated with psychological changes in the person, including mood. According to a research published on the NCBI website, this hormone can help to improve mood (12) . For this reason, light exercise such as walking or jogging and stretching exercises on the advice of a specialist can be helpful in reducing panic attacks. Yoga can also be done on the advice of a doctor to relieve stress .
4. Take deep breaths
It is believed that the affected person should be advised to take a deep breath when a panic attack occurs. As we have mentioned in the article above, stress causes panic attacks. At the same time, effective measures to reduce stress include deep breathing (2) . Deep breathing can improve mood as well as relieve stress (13) . For this reason, deep breathing is believed to indirectly relieve panic attacks.
5. Mindfulness Meditation
Mindfulness meditation is also considered a good way to prevent panic attacks. It is also called Mindfulness Cognitive Therapy, which involves controlling emotions, spending time with oneself, feeling good things, and meditation. These mindfulness exercises can help relieve stress and anxiety, which are directly related to panic attacks (14) (3) .
6. Keep calm and keep your eyes closed
People suffering from panic attacks are advised to remain calm and close their eyes while sensing an attack. In fact, panic attack also occurs due to environmental reasons, due to overcrowding and the surrounding movement, it can have a worse effect. In such a situation, try to keep yourself calm. Also breathe well and keep going. Also, try to avoid crowded places.
Now we are telling you when to see a doctor when there is a problem of panic attack. After this, we will also tell about how to treat panic attack.
When to see a doctor when there is a panic attack – When to See a Doctor
If you have a panic attack for the first time, then you should contact the doctor about it, so that it can be controlled before it comes again. Also it would be a good decision to contact a doctor in the event of its cause (eg anxiety, stress and depression) mentioned in the article. In addition, panic attack symptoms can also affect a person badly, so a doctor should also be contacted to minimize the effects of its symptoms as stated in the article.
Let us now know what can be a cure for panic attack.
Panic attack treatment
Both psychological and medicinal treatment is given to treat panic attack. We are going to explain these two in detail below (4) (2) .
- Psychological treatment includes cognitive behavior therapy. In this, the victim is taught various ways of reacting and thinking about the changes in emotions and panic during a panic attack. This therapy can help reduce the risk of panic attack.
- To improve the related diseases that cause panic attacks.
- Breathing training reduces hyperventilation, which is when a person starts breathing very loudly, which is a symptom of a panic attack.
- Antidepressants and benzodiazepine drugs are given during pharmacological treatment.
- Among antidepressants, most experts may recommend taking selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors when compared to other medications.
- Patients with severe symptoms may be given alprazolam medication until anti-depressant drugs show no effect.
Let us now have a look at some tips to prevent panic attacks.
Prevention of panic attack – Prevention Tips for Panic Attack
We have already told that panic attack is very frightening for the affected person. After knowing so much about this problem, it is important to know about prevention from panic attack. These points can be included in a way to reduce panic attacks –
- Trying to handle oneself in a state of mental trauma.
- Avoiding stress and stress.
- Do not consume alcohol.
- Reduced or no caffeine intake.
- Sharing small problems with the family.
- Ways to relieve depression such as trying to keep yourself happy.
- In addition, psychiatrists may know ways to avoid this.
We have given detailed information about panic attack in this article. We hope that the help of this information will benefit the affected people. Contact the doctor as soon as the symptoms of panic attack described here are seen. This problem can be controlled to a large extent with the help of medicines given by the doctor. Even after reading this article related to panic attack, if you have any questions in your mind, you can reach them through the comment box. Do share this article with your friends and loved ones, because many times people suffering from panic attacks are unable to help themselves due to lack of information.