Due to busy routines and poor food, the body becomes vulnerable to many problems. It is also included in the cholesterol level. Disturbances in cholesterol levels can cause many problems such as heart disease and blood pressure. Like this, doctors give many types of medicines to reduce cholesterol, but if some changes are made in the routine and the home remedy to reduce cholesterol is used, then this problem can be avoided. In this article of stylecrase, we will explain about cholesterol in detail. In this article, we will give information about the symptoms of cholesterol increase and home remedies to reduce it.
In the article, first of all we are telling you what cholesterol is.
What is cholesterol? – What is Cholesterol in Hindi
The question that often arises in people’s minds is what is cholesterol? Actually, the fatty substance like wax found in every cells of the body is called cholesterol. It is also known as Hypercholesterolemia, Hyperlipidemia and Hyperlipoproteinemia (Hyperlipoproteinemia). Cholesterol helps in the production of hormones, vitamin D and other types of substances in the body, which makes it easier to digest food. At the same time, having high cholesterol in the blood increases the risk of diseases related to artery (arteries) (1) (2) .
You know what cholesterol is. Let us now know the type of cholesterol.
Types of Cholesterol – Types of Cholesterol
Although only two types of cholesterol have been considered, but here we are explaining all the types of cholesterol in detail (2) (3) :
- Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) : It is also known as bad or harmful cholesterol. High levels of LDL cholesterol increase the risk of heart disease and stroke. This type of cholesterol is the main source of blocking the arteries. Due to this, there is also the risk of many other problems and diseases.
- High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL): This cholesterol is known to be good cholesterol. Having normal HDL cholesterol levels can help in getting rid of heart disease and other problems.
- Total (Total) Cholesterol: It tells the total amount of cholesterol present in the blood. It contains both low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol and high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol.
- Triglycerides: It is a type of fat found in blood. According to some studies, high levels of triglycerides may increase the risk of heart disease in women.
- Very Low-Density Lipoprotein (VLDL): Very low density lipoprotein ie VLDL is another type of bad cholesterol. Plague forms on the arteries when VLDL is high.
- Non-HDL: It is a very low density cholesterol. It contains all other cholesterol besides HDL.
In further article, we are talking about the cause of cholesterol.
Causes of Cholesterol – Causes of Cholesterol
The most common cause of high cholesterol is disorganized and poor lifestyle. Apart from the increase in cholesterol, there can be many reasons, some of which are as follows (1) :
- Poor diet: Eating foods that are high in fat, such as meat, fried foods, dairy products and chocolate etc. Eating these foods containing fat can increase LDL (bad) cholesterol.
- Lack of physical activity: Lack of physical activity, yoga and exercise in everyday lifestyle also increases cholesterol. This type of lifestyle reduces HDL (good) cholesterol.
- Smoking: Smoking lowers HDL (good) cholesterol and increases LDL (harmful) cholesterol. This problem is seen especially in women due to smoking.
- Genetic cause: People also have high cholesterol problem due to genetics. Familial hypercholesterolemia is a type of genetic and inherited high cholesterol.
Let us now take a look at the symptoms of cholesterol.
Cholesterol Symptoms – Cholesterol Symptoms
What is the amount of cholesterol, it can be clear only by cholesterol test, because high cholesterol does not cause any symptoms. If someone has a high cholesterol problem for a long time, they are at an increased risk of heart disease – such as angina – chest pain, heart attack and stroke. In some cases, individuals become aware of high cholesterol levels only after a stroke or a heart attack. Therefore, people are advised to periodically undergo blood tests for cholesterol test (1) (4) .
After knowing the symptoms of cholesterol, here we will know how much cholesterol should be in the body.
What should be the cholesterol level? – Cholesterol Levels
After knowing so much about cholesterol, it is bound to arise in the mind that how much cholesterol should it be? Below we are talking about healthy levels of cholesterol based on age and gender. How much cholesterol should it be? Before knowing that cholesterol is measured in milligrams per deciliter (mg / dL) during cholesterol test (2) :
|19 years and below||Less than 170 mg / dL||Less than 100 mg / dL||More than 45 mg / dL||Less than 120 mg / dL|
|Men 20 and older||Less than 125 to 200 mg / dL||Less than 100 mg / dL||More than 40 mg / dL||Less than 130 mg / dL|
|Women over 19 years old||Less than 125 to 200 mg / dL||Less than 100 mg / dL||More than 50 mg / dL||Less than 130 mg / dL|
After all the information about cholesterol, here we are telling some home remedies to avoid it.
Home Remedies for Cholesterol – Home Remedies for Cholesterol
Cholesterol treatment is possible only with doctors’ medicines, but with the help of home remedies, cholesterol can be reduced or controlled. Below we are telling you about the home remedy to reduce cholesterol.
1. Coconut Oil
Consumption of virgin coconut oil can be beneficial to lower cholesterol . It contains lauric acid. It can help to increase good cholesterol i.e. HDL (5) . Therefore, it can be said that coconut oil can be helpful in controlling cholesterol level. It can be used in place of other oil while cooking.
Consuming amla can help in preventing many diseases as well as in controlling cholesterol. Amla has rich vitamin-C and antioxidant properties. Apart from this, amla juice also has hypolipidemic properties. According to a research published in NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information), all these properties of amla reduce bad cholesterol and total cholesterol. May also help to increase good cholesterol (HDL) (6) . Its juice and powder can be consumed to control cholesterol.
Onion can be used to enhance the taste of food as well as to reduce cholesterol. Onion is rich in antioxidant and hypolipidemic properties (7) . These properties can help reduce and control bad cholesterol by increasing the amount of good cholesterol. Red colored onions can also be consumed to reduce cholesterol (8) . Dried onions also have hypolipidemic and antioxidant properties, which may help reduce cholesterol (9) . Onion can be used as a salad or when making vegetables.
4. Orange Juice
In Ayurveda, orange juice is used as a medicine to treat cholesterol . Actually, the vitamin-C and folate present in oranges have rich antioxidant properties. Along with these, orange juice is also endowed with hypolipidemic properties. These properties and flavonoids compound found in oranges can help reduce the amount of bad cholesterol present in the blood and increase good cholesterol (10) . Orange juice can be used in breakfast. It can be a great option to avoid cholesterol.
5. Apple Vinegar
The use of apple vinegar to remove cholesterol is also considered beneficial. Apple vinegar contains acetic acid, which can help normalize increased cholesterol. It is believed that those who include it in the diet can also reduce the problem of heart disease. However, more research is needed to clarify whether apple vinegar can control cholesterol levels (11) ( 12 ). You can consume apple vinegar in water before meals. In addition, it can also be added to salads. Keep in mind that include it in your diet in limited quantities.
6. Coriander Powder
Coriander powder can take care of health along with enhancing the taste of food. The hypolipidemic, antihypocholesterolemic and antioxidant properties present in it can help reduce harmful cholesterol present in the blood. A study conducted in animals found that using coriander extracts may help reduce cholesterol (13) . It is used in vegetables and salads to enhance flavor.
7. Fish Oil
Fish oil is used as a medicine. The omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids found in fish oil increase good cholesterol by reducing harmful cholesterol. It can also help in treating cholesterol (14) . Fish oil can be used to make food. It is possible that some people do not like its taste, so its capsule available in the market can also be consumed. It is better to consult a doctor before using it.
While garlic is commonly used as a vegetable or sauce, garlic extracts have powerful antioxidant properties as well as cholesterol-lowering properties, which can be beneficial in increasing cholesterol. (15) . These can be beneficial in reducing total cholesterol and low density lipoprotein (harmful) cholesterol levels. Glucose is believed to be used as an alternative to cholesterol patients (16) . It can be used for making chutney or while preparing vegetables.
9. Green Tea
Many people use green tea to treat cholesterol . Actually, it has antioxidant properties. These properties can help control blood cholesterol levels. Antioxidant good (HDL) has been considered helpful in increasing cholesterol levels (17) . About two cups of green tea can be consumed throughout the day to avoid cholesterol. A dietician can be consulted once on how much should be taken daily.
10. Lemon Juice
Nutrient-rich lemon juice also has the ability to lower cholesterol. A compound called flavonoid is found in citrus fruits like lemon. These flavonoids may help reduce cholesterol and triglyceride (18) . If lemon juice is mixed with honey and drunk, it can help in reducing body weight. Cholesterol can be controlled to some extent by losing weight. This is possible because lemon juice has vitamin-C and honey with antioxidant properties ( 19 ).
11. Linseed seeds
Flaxseed seeds can be consumed to control cholesterol. A good amount of fiber is found in flaxseed seeds. The fiber present in it may help reduce total cholesterol and LDL (harmful) cholesterol levels (20) . Its powder can be used to lower cholesterol. Powder made from flaxseed seeds can be used for salad dressing.
12. Grape Juice
Consumption of grapefruit juice may reduce the risk of cholesterol rise. Actually, it contains polyphenols compound like resveratrol, phenolic acids, anthocyanins and flavonoids. These work as antioxidants in the body. Therefore, grape juice can help reduce harmful cholesterol (21) . It can be taken as juice in the afternoon or evening. It is possible that some people do not suit grape juice, so it would be advisable to consult the dietician before drinking this juice.
13. Pomegranate juice
Pomegranate juice can control cholesterol. It contains antioxidants like polyphenolic, tannin and anthocyanin. These can help increase the level of good (HDL) cholesterol and reduce the level of harmful i.e. LDL cholesterol (22) . You can drink pomegranate juice directly or by mixing it in other juices.
Yogurt contains the components of Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium lactis. Both these components are considered beneficial for reducing harmful cholesterol present in the blood (23) . Therefore, curd can also be used in the treatment of cholesterol. You can eat a bowl of yogurt throughout the day.
15. Chia Seeds
The use of chia seeds can relieve many cardiovascular diseases by controlling cholesterol. Chia seeds are rich in fiber and antioxidants. They are believed to be able to reduce harmful cholesterol in the blood. In addition, they can also help in increasing the level of good cholesterol (24) . Chia seeds, powder and oil can be used to lower cholesterol. It can be used by soaking in water, with curd or by making a powder.
16. Celery Juice
Celery juice can also be used to control cholesterol. It contains plenty of fiber along with antioxidants. These properties can help increase good cholesterol (HDL) by reducing bad cholesterol (LDL) present in the blood (25) . It can be used in any form of salad, juice or soup.
The intake of oats may be beneficial to control cholesterol levels . Oats contain a component called beta-glucan. Consuming at least 3 grams of beta-gluten daily can reduce harmful (LDL) cholesterol levels. It is also believed to be beneficial in promoting good (HDL) cholesterol levels (26) . It can be used for breakfast with milk, as a soup or by making porridge.
18. Essential Oil
Many such oils are available in the market, whose intake can be controlled by cholesterol. Here are some of the special essential oils that we are explaining in detail:
- Olive oil: Olive oil can be used for both flavor and nutritional value. The polyphenols present in it inhibit lipoprotein-related oxidative damage. This can lower levels of harmful (LDL) cholesterol and triglyceride (a type of fat). Also, good (HDL) cholesterol in the body may help to increase (27) .
- Palm oil: Palm oil can also help in controlling cholesterol. The tocotrienol compound found in it may be helpful in controlling cholesterol. These (HDL) can reduce harmful (LDL) cholesterol without any effect on cholesterol (28) .
- Spearmint oil: Cholesterol can be controlled using this oil. According to the medical report published on the NCBI website, extracts prepared from Spearmint leaves contain phenolic compounds. When this compound was used on mice, it increased the antioxidant process in the body. This helped improve the immune system as well as reduce the harmful glucose and cholesterol present in the blood (29) .
- Neem oil: Neem flower extracts (oil, powder, juice) have cholesterol-lowering effects. These inhibit the absorption of cholesterol in the intestines. Also help in preventing cholesterol formation. Indeed, due to the hypocholesterolemic properties present in neem, it is considered to be helpful in preventing cholesterol from rising (30) .
- Lemon oil: Lemon oil can also be used to control cholesterol. Lemon oil contains limonene, antioxidant and gamma turpentine (γ-terpinene) compounds. These properties may help to increase HDL by lowering the level of LDL cholesterol present in the blood (31) .
- Almond oil: The monounsaturated fatty acids found in it can reduce harmful cholesterol (LDL), total cholesterol and plasma triglyceride in the body. In addition, this fatty acid may also be beneficial in increasing levels of good (HDL) cholesterol (32) .
Apart from the ingredients mentioned above, vitamins are also considered beneficial in controlling cholesterol. Indeed, high doses of vitamin B have been found to be helpful in balancing cholesterol and triglyceride lipid levels in the body.
At the same time, Vitamin-B i.e. Niacin has anti-atherosclerotic properties. This property is considered beneficial in increasing high density lipoprotein (HDL). Also, vitamin-E has also been considered essential in this case. It helps in reducing the plaque that accumulates in the artery (artery) caused by cholesterol and in the treatment of arterial diseases caused by cholesterol (33) . Keep in mind that do not take vitamin K supplements without doctor’s advice.
Note: Some of the research mentioned above in the article has been done on humans and some on animals.
After knowing the home remedies to reduce cholesterol, here we are telling about the diet necessary to avoid it.
What to eat and what not to eat in cholesterol
In both cases, diet plays an important role, whether to keep cholesterol under control or to reduce the increased cholesterol. Therefore, below we are explaining in detail what to eat and not to control cholesterol (34) .
- Eat a fiber-rich diet: Cholesterol can be reduced by consuming soluble fiber-rich foods. These prevent cholesterol from being absorbed. Fiber-rich whole grains, oatmeal and oats can help lower cholesterol. Apart from these, consumption of apples, bananas, oranges, pears and dried plum in fruits can prevent cholesterol levels from rising. Kidney beans, lentils, chickpeas, black peas and lima beans can also be beneficial in controlling cholesterol.
- Eat vegetables and fruits: Along with fruits, vegetables also play an important role in controlling cholesterol. These help to increase the cholesterol-lowering compound in the body. Actually, they contain stanol or sterol compounds, which act in the body like soluble fibers.
- Eat foods containing omega-3 fatty acids: Omega-3 fatty acids can help lower levels of harmful (LDL) cholesterol as well as increase levels of good (HDL) cholesterol. Fish oil, chia seeds, flaxseed oil, walnuts, canola oil, soy oil, soybean and tofu may be good sources for omega-3 fatty acids ( 35 ).
- Avoid cholesterol-enhancing foods: Cholesterol levels should be less than 200 mg a day. Also we have explained about the level in the beginning of the article. Cholesterol is found high in meat. In addition, egg yolk, lobster and dairy products may have higher cholesterol. Therefore, they should be consumed in limited quantities.
- Do not consume alcohol : Consumption of alcohol can increase excess calories in the body. Due to this, weight gain occurs and LDL levels also begin to increase as the weight increases. Also, increasing weight can reduce levels of good (HDL) cholesterol. Alcohol consumption can increase the risk of cholesterol as well as heart related diseases.
- Limit salt content: Salt means one should try to limit the amount of sodium. No more than 2,300 mg (about 1 teaspoon of salt) should be eaten in a day. Limiting salt will not lower cholesterol, but it can reduce the risk of heart diseases by lowering blood pressure.
Let us also know some tips to avoid the problem of rising cholesterol.
Prevent Cholesterol – Prevention Tips for Cholesterol
The following tips can be taken to control cholesterol ( 36 ) ( 37 ).
- Control weight: It is important to control weight gain to avoid cholesterol problem, as obesity can be one of the symptoms of increasing cholesterol. To avoid this, the intake of extra fat foods should be limited.
- Exercise and Yoga: In everyday life, it is important to pay attention to physical activities along with yoga and exercise. These will not only reduce obesity, but can help in controlling cholesterol as well as to overcome the problems related to it.
- Stay away from smoking: Smoking causes damage to healthy blood cells. It can also be a cause of rising cholesterol. Therefore, to avoid cholesterol and related problems, try to avoid smoking.
- Cholesterol test: It is also necessary to have a cholesterol test done periodically to know how much the cholesterol level in the body is.
In this article of cholesterol we have told that this is not a problem, but a condition that can surround other diseases. Therefore, cholesterol reduction can be done by using the home remedies given in the article. Here we make it clear that it is not right to rely solely on home remedies to control rising cholesterol. Medical counseling is also necessary in critical condition. If you want any other information regarding cholesterol, you can reach us through the comment box below.