There is no doubt that stomach problems can be common and also a sign of some serious illness. One such disease is Crohn’s. Crohn’s disease, stomach pain, diarrhea or other symptoms mentioned in the article may enter the body. Therefore, it is necessary to keep necessary information about this disease. In this article of Stylecrase, know what the causes, symptoms and risk factors of Crohn’s disease can be. This article also talks about ways to avoid Crohn’s disease. Also, information on how to treat Crohn’s disease can also be given.
Before taking the rest of the information about this problem, it is important to know what is Crohn’s disease.
What is Crohn’s disease – What is Crohn’s disease?
Crohn is an inflammatory bowel disease associated with the intestine, which is counted in the category of chronic disease. It affects the person’s digestive tract along with swelling and irritation. The disease usually affects the early part of the large intestine and the small intestine. However, Crohn’s disease can engulf any part of the person’s digestive tract (from the mouth to the anus). The disease progresses slowly over time. However, its symptoms tend to subside briefly over time ( 1 ).
Learn further about the type of Crohn’s disease in the article.
Types of Crohn’s disease
The type of Crohn’s disease can be divided into five parts –
- Ileocolitis : This is a common type of Crohn’s. In this, the colon (part of intestine) and ileum (last part of small intestine) of affected person are affected.
- Jejunoileitis : It usually affects the runaway jejunum in the middle of the small intestine.
- Ileitis : This type of Crohn’s disease affects the ileum (ileum, the last part of the small intestine). This causes inflammation in the ileum.
- Gastroduodenal Crohn’s Disease : This type of Crohn’s disease affects the stomach and the duodenal (Duodenal, the early part of the small intestine).
- Crohn’s (Granulomatous) Colitis : This type of Crohn’s disease affects the colon, which is the main part of the large intestine.
In the next part of the article you will learn what may be the causes of Crohn’s disease.
Causes of Crohn’s disease – Causes of Crohn’s disease
It would be difficult to say anything clearly about the cause of Crohn’s disease. The exact cause has not yet been ascertained. The doctor believes that the reasons mentioned below may include ( 2 ):
- Autoimmune reaction : In this problem, the body’s immune system starts damaging healthy cells. Digestive tract bacteria are believed to be the cause of such autoimmune reactions, which can cause symptoms of Crohn’s disease such as inflammation in the intestine.
- Genetic : Crohn’s disease is also believed to be genetic. If someone’s parents or siblings have Crohn’s disease, then that person can also have it.
- Other causes : Crohn’s disease may also include smoking, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (such as birth control pills or aspirin) and high-fat diet.
After knowing the causes of Crohn’s disease, let us now tell you what the symptoms of Crohn’s disease can be –
Symptoms of Crohn’s disease – Symptoms of Crohn’s disease
The symptoms of Crohn’s disease are not the same in all. It also depends on which part of the digestive tract the disease is and how severe it is. There are some symptoms that may be common, such as ( 2 ):
- Abdominal pain and cramps
- Lose weight
Apart from this, the symptoms of Crohn’s disease can also be something else, such as:
- Anemia (anemia)
- Redness or pain in the eyes
- Joint pain or stiffness
- Nausea or loss of appetite
In this part of the article, know what the risk factors of Crohn’s (Crohn’s) disease can be.
Risk factors of Crohn’s disease
As we noted above, there may be an inflammatory disease associated with the Crohn intestine and several risk factors. Risk factors of Crohn’s disease can be as follows ( 3 ):
- Appendix (a small tube connected to the large intestine) surgery.
- Contraceptive pills or antibiotics.
- A diet rich in sugar and fat.
- Any kind of infection.
- Those who have previously had gastroenteritis (intestinal infection).
Along with knowing the risk factors, causes and symptoms of Crohn’s disease, it is also important to know how Crohn’s disease can be treated. The information related to this is given below.
Treatment of Crohn’s disease – Treatment of Crohn’s disease
Talking about the treatment of Crohn’s disease, its treatment does not work the same for everyone. These treatments are especially used to reduce its symptoms. These treatments can be done in three ways ( 4 ):
- With the help of medicines
- Relaxing the bowels
With the help of medicines :
Crohn’s disease can be treated by reducing its symptoms with the help of the following medicines:
- Aminosalicylates : A specific type of acid (5-ASA) is found in these medicines, which may help reduce inflammation. It can also have some side effects, such as:
- Defecation and vomiting
- stomach pain
- Corticosteroids : These drugs help in reducing autoimmune reaction and inflammation, which may help reduce the symptoms of Crohn’s disease. It can also have side effects, such as:
- high blood pressure
- High blood sugar
- Decreased bone density
- Risk of infection
- mood swing
- gaining weight
- Immunomodulators : These drugs reduce autoimmune reactions, which may help reduce inflammation. These may take from a few weeks to three months to function properly. These medicines are given to them, on which no other medicine works. Some of its side effects can be:
- Decreased white blood cells, which may increase the risk of infection.
- Vomiting and defecation
- Pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas)
Relaxing the bowels:
In addition to medicines, Crohn’s disease can also be treated by relaxing the bowels if someone’s symptoms are more severe. In this, the doctor may advise to consume certain beverages. This can be done as follows –
- Consumption of nutritious beverages.
- Transporting nutrient-rich beverages to the stomach or small intestine through a tube.
- Transporting certain nutrients to the body through blood.
Crohn’s disease can also be treated through surgery. This surgery can help improve symptoms and reduce complications of the disease. During the treatment of Crohn’s disease, under certain circumstances, doctors recommend surgery, which can be the following:
- Causes of fistula (an unnatural joint between two parts of the body)
- Fatal bleeding
- Tightness in intestine (food, beverages, air or feces not passing through the intestine)
- Deadly side effects of medicines
- When symptoms do not get better with medicines.
It is also important to take care of diet along with treatment. Therefore, after the treatment of Crohn’s disease, know which foods can be included in the diet during Crohn’s disease.
Crohn’s Disease Diet – Crohn’s Disease Diet
According to the type of Crohn’s disease, only doctors will be able to give accurate information about what to eat in the diet. But during this, taking care of some things related to diet can benefit ( 5 ).
- Do not consume soda beverages.
- Avoid eating high fiber foods like popcorn, nuts etc.
- Consume more fluid.
- Do not eat too much together.
- Depending on the problem, doctors may recommend eating high-calorie, lectos-free, low-fat, low-fiber, or low-salt foods.
Apart from these things, it is also important to keep in mind which foods are advised to avoid ( 6 ):
|CATEGORY||WHAT NOT TO EAT|
|Milk and milk products||Cream milk, cream, berry / orange curd, nuts or fat ice cream|
|Meat||Fried meats, sausages, bacon, fried eggs and hot dogs|
|More protein||Nuts, Dried Beans and Peas|
|Grain||Serials made of whole grain, brown rice and whole grains|
|Vegetable||Broccoli, cabbage, corn, leafy vegetables (such as spinach, mustard and turnip), and mushrooms|
|The fruit||Peeled apples, ripe bananas and melons (melon / melon)|
|Drinkable item||Caffeine-rich drinks, alcohol and colaCold drinks made from sugar and corn syrup, fruit juice, etc.|
|Fat and oil||Do not eat more than eight spoons a day.|
The foods mentioned above are rich in high fiber / lectos / fat / gluten, which can increase symptoms of Crohn’s disease such as diarrhea, abdominal pain, bloating, gas, etc. For this reason, it is advisable not to include them in the diet ( 7 ).
Learn about the solution to avoid Crohn’s disease in the last part of the article.
Measures to avoid Crohn’s disease – Prevention Tips for Crohn’s Disease
In the article, we have mentioned earlier that Crohn is a type of intestinal inflammatory disease. In this case, tips to avoid inflammatory bowel disease can serve as a way to prevent Crohn’s disease. These tips are explained below ( 8 ):
- Do not smoke
- Get necessary vaccinations. This may reduce the risk of infection.
- Exercise every day and do some physical activity.
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Avoid anemia
- Avoid medicines that can cause Crohn’s disease, such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
We hope that through the article you will have found the causes, symptoms and other important information related to Crohn’s disease. You must have also understood that how Crohn’s disease can affect the whole body along with the intestine. Therefore, immediately on seeing symptoms of Crohn’s disease, contact the doctor immediately and get treatment. Also, if you have any question related to treatment of Crohn’s disease or other related topics, then you can take help of the comment box below.