On hearing the name of Lemon Grass, there must have been a picture of green grass in your mind. At the same time, you may be wondering, can good grass be beneficial for health? Just here you got cheated. Make it clear to you that we are not talking about grass like this here, but Lemon Grass. You will be surprised to hear about the medicinal properties of lemon grass. It can be helpful in getting rid of many diseases from head to foot. If you do not know what is lemon grass and what are the benefits of lemon grass for the body, then definitely read this article of stylecrase. In this article, you will learn about its benefits and its uses. Also, we will tell you about the loss of lemon grass.
In the first part of the article, know what is lemon grass.
What is Lemon Grass?
Lemon grass is a medicinal plant found especially in South-East Asia. It looks like grass, its length is longer than common grass. At the same time, its smell is like lemon and it is mostly used in tea like ginger. The medicinal properties of lemon grass such as anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal etc. protect you from many diseases and infections. Lemon grass oil is also used as a medicine. About 75 percent citral is found in it, due to which its fragrance is also lemon-like. Lemon grass oil is also often used in beauty products and beverages.
After knowing what is lemon grass, know further what are the benefits of lemon grass?
Benefits of Lemon Grass
- Controls cholesterol Increasing the amount of cholesterol in the body increases the risk of stroke and heart disease . In such a way, the medicinal properties of lemon grass can reduce the level of cholesterol in the body and protect you from them. According to a scientific study, the intake of lemon grass oil can reduce the level of cholesterol in the blood.
- Benefits of lemon grass for stomach The properties of lemon grass can also help in increasing your digestive power. In addition, the anti-oxidant properties present in it protect against oxidative stress and may prevent stomach ulcers and other stomach problems.
- Benefits of Lemon Grass for Kidney Lemon grass has diuretic properties. By consuming this, you may need to urinate frequently, which is good for your kidney. By this, the toxins of your body will be excreted through urine and your kidneys will be healthy. In addition, stone medicines also have diuretic properties, which play a supporting role in ejecting kidney stones.
- Benefits of Lemon Grass for Cancer Lemon grass and lemon grass oil have anti-cancer properties, which help reduce the risk of cancer by eliminating cancer cells . In addition, you can also drink lemon grass tea to eliminate cancer cells.
- Benefits of Lemon Grass to Lose Weight Due to the diuretic properties of lemon grass, it detoxifies the body and removes toxins from the body through urine. Detoxification is believed to help you lose weight. At the moment, there is no firm evidence on the benefits of lemon grass to reduce weight and more research is needed.
- Increase immunity The medicinal properties of lemon grass can increase your immunity . It also has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory properties, which can protect you from many types of infections and diseases. In addition, the vitamins and minerals present in it may serve to promote the immune system.
- Beneficial in sleep If you are not able to sleep properly, you can use lemon grass oil to get relief from this problem. It has sedative properties, which will help you get better sleep. If you want, you can take aromatherapy by putting a few drops of lemon grass oil in the diffuser.
- Benefits of Lemon Grass for Arthritis Rheumatoid Arthritis is a problem in which joint pain, swelling and stiffness occur. These problems are common at the age of 30-60 years. If you are also suffering from arthritis problem , Lemon Grass oil can be beneficial for you. It has anti-inflammatory properties, which can relieve you of symptoms of arthritis. You can massage to the affected area with a few drops of lemon grass oil to get relief.
- Lemon Grass for Depression The benefits of lemon grass have also been seen in fighting depression. Indeed, lemon grass has anti-depressant properties, which can act to relieve depression.
- Benefits of Lemon Grass for the Nervous System Nutrients of lemon grass may be beneficial for the nervous system. Indeed, it contains magnesium, which can prevent neurodegenerative diseases. In neurodegenerative disease, neurons of the brain begin to be destroyed.
- Benefits of Lemon Grass for Asthma The medicinal properties of lemon grass can protect you from allergic asthma. It has anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic properties, which prevent infected cells from entering your lungs and may prove beneficial in protecting you from allergic asthma.
- Lemon Grass for Stress The properties of lemon gars can also give you comfort from stress. Actually this work does the magnesium found in lemon grass. Research has found that magnesium deficiency can cause stress-related problems such as headaches, insomnia, fatigue, hyper-emotionality and anxiety. In this case, consuming lemon grass can help you, because it contains sufficient amount of magnesium . If you wish, you can also take aromatherapy with lemon grass oil to relieve stress and anxiety. At the moment, further research is still needed on this.
- Benefits of Lemon Grass for Diabetes If you are troubled by diabetes, the properties of lemon grass can help you. Lemon grass and its flowers are traditionally used to treat diabetes . It has anti-diabetic properties, which can help you control blood sugar levels on an empty stomach and after meals.
- Benefits of Lemon Grass for Acne Lemon grass properties can help you get smooth and pimple-free skin. It has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, which fight pimples and infection-causing germs and eliminate them from the root. In addition, it also has antioxidant properties, which reduce oxidative stress and prevent pimples from growing.
After knowing about the properties of lemon grass, in the next part of the article, know about the nutrients of lemon grass.
Lemon Grass Nutritional Value – Lemon Grass Nutritional Value
With the help of this table, know what nutrients are found in Lemon Grass and in what quantity
Let us now tell you how Lemon Grass is used.
How to use Lemon Grass
Lemon grass has a similar taste to lemon. Lemon grass is particularly used in Thai and Continental cooking. You can use lemon grass in many ways, such as:
How to use:
- You can make tea like green tea. You can also use it like ginger / cardamom in tea.
- When making chicken, you can add a little lemon grass to it. It can give a different taste to the chicken.
- You can make lemon grass soup. You can also add a little lemon grass to tomato soup.
- You can make iced lemon grass tea by adding ice to lemon grass tea.
- You can use it to make vegetables by making lemon grass paste.
- You can use Lemon Grass instead of Lemon Zest in food.
When to use:
You can consume lemon grass tea in the morning and evening.
It can also be used in the afternoon or dinner.
How much to use:
To make the tea hard, you can add one or two lemon grass leaves as needed.
You can also add flavoring (8-10 leaves) lemon grass in cooking, but use it in limited quantity.
Note : Keep in mind that you use fresh lemon grass only. Before using, cut the piece under its stalk and remove the dried leaves. You can use Lemon Grass leaves to make tea and yellow inside.
After knowing the benefits of lemon grass, now know the disadvantages of lemon grass.
Damage to Lemon Grass – Side Effects of Lemon Grass
It is safe to consume like this, but consuming excessive amounts of it can lead to loss of lemon grass. Know below about some side effects of lemon grass:
- Feeling hungry
- Dry mouth
- Excessive urination
- Damage to Lemon Grass Oil:
- Respiratory tract infection
- Skin irritation and rashes
- Eye irritation due to ingestion
- Digestive system problems due to swallowing
Note : There is no scientific evidence yet of the damage of Lemon Grass. All its disadvantages are based on people’s experiences. Therefore, if you have any health problem, take it only on the advice of a doctor.
Now you must have understood about the disadvantages and benefits of lemon grass. You must have noticed that the damage of lemon grass is not very much and it is almost safe, provided that you consume it in limited and controlled quantities. Also, keep in mind that if you are using lemon grass for a particular problem, then do consult your doctor once. If you still have any questions related to the benefits of lemon grass or related to it, then you can tell us by writing it in the comment box below. Also, don’t forget to tell how you liked this article.