If the onion is not puffed while cooking the tadka and does not have its place in the salad, then the taste of the food is not there. Of course, there is definitely water in the eyes while cutting it, but there are no match to the countless benefits of eating it. Especially, in summer it is said that eating onions does not cause heatstroke. You will be surprised to know that onion is not only full of heat, but is also able to protect against diseases like diabetes and cancer. In this article, we will discuss in detail about similar Ayurvedic properties of onions. We will also show you how to eat it. In the end, we will also tell you the disadvantages of eating onions.
What are onions?
Originally, onion has been considered a vegetable. It is not only eaten in India, but is eaten globally. Its scientific name is Allium cepa. It is called by different names in different languages. In Hindi it is also called Kanda and Dungri along with Onion, while Ullipayalu / Yera Gaddalu / Nirulli in Telugu, Vaigayam in Tamil, Savannah in Malayalam, Ulligadde / Erulli / Neeruli in Kannada, Pinyaz in Bengali, Dungari in Gujarati / Kanda and is called Kanda in Marathi. Onion plant has blue and green leaves.
Onion is used in cooking. At the same time, it can be eaten raw and its sauce and pickle is also made. Its taste is pungent and sharp. It can be grown easily in any kind of weather. If we talk about its plant, scientists consider it as a stem, which lives inside the ground. This helps the plant to grow properly.
Do you know what kind of onions are there, if not then here we are telling.
Types of Onion
Many onion species are found worldwide. However, it is not possible to tell them all here, so we are talking about some specific types.
- Yellow Onion: Its pulp is white in color, while its outer layer is brown. Its aroma is like sulfur.
- Sweet Onion: Its outer layer is lighter and less opaque and it is slightly thicker.
- White Onion: It is white in appearance from outside. It also has a slightly sweet taste compared to other onions.
- Red Onion: It is mildly sweet to eat and can be eaten raw. Its outer layer is of magenta color.
- Shallots: It is small in size. Its outer layer is brown and the inner pulp is purple.
- Green Onion: This onion is not fully grown.
- Leak: Its lower round part is short, while the stem is long. It is used in making sauces or soups.
Next we are answering why eating onions is important.
Are onions good for your health?
Onion is beneficial for health in every sense. Whether you eat it raw or by adding it to the vegetable. It is considered a good source of folate, iron, potassium and vitamin C and B6. It also contains manganese, which protects you from colds and colds.
It contains essential phytochemicals such as allium and allele disulfide, which are converted to allicin. Numerous scientific studies have found that an element called allicin is capable of combating cancer and diabetes ( 1 ). Onion can control intravenous inflammation and blood pressure.
Onion also contains an element called quercetin, which acts as an antioxidant ( 2 ). Due to this property, onion can reduce inflammation in the body. Even the oil extracted from onion is beneficial. This oil also has antioxidant, atiseptic and antibacterial properties ( 3 ). Of course, onion is beneficial and helps in staying healthy, but it cannot cure any serious disease. It can only help in reducing symptoms and recovering from the disease.
Now, we know that in which form it will be better to eat onion.
What better way to eat onion
It depends on your choice whether you eat raw onion or cook it. If we talk about raw onion, then there is a lot of organic sulfur in it, which has many benefits. According to a scientific study, the outer layer of onion pulp contains more flavonoids, which have antioxidant properties. Therefore, while cutting the onion, you should remove this layer sparingly. It is beneficial for you in many cases ( 4 ).
At the same time, the amount of fiber and copper is found in cooked onions. While fiber helps improve the digestive system, copper is good for brain development. Even onion pickle is considered beneficial for health. It is important to mention here that some companies add chemical to onion pickle, which is harmful for health. In this way, onion can be eaten both raw and cooked.
The benefits of onion are being talked further in the article.
Benefits of Onion
Here we are telling how onion is beneficial for health, skin and hair. In this part of the article we will explain about these three things in detail. Let us first talk about the benefits of onion for health:
Onion benefits for health
Through scientific studies done on mice, it has been confirmed that onion juice can control blood sugar. According to the study, onion contains chromium, due to which it is beneficial for diabetic patients. It also contains sulfur, quercetin, and antidiabetic properties, which can have positive effects on blood sugar ( 5 ). Therefore, a limited amount of onions can be consumed daily to avoid problems like diabetes. At the same time, if someone is suffering from diabetes, he should take onion on the advice of the doctor along with diabetes medicine.
According to scientists, onions have the ability to prevent the cells that cause breast and stomach cancer from growing. Onions are high in quercetin and anthocyanin. Quercetin acts as an antioxidant ( 2 ). Antioxidants prevent the formation of free radicals in the body, which reduces the risk of getting cancer. Therefore, consuming onions does not give the cancerous bacteria a chance to flourish in the body. Mouth cancer can also be avoided by consuming onion ( 6 ). It has also been found that people who consume more onions, their chances of getting cancer are reduced manifold. Thus, prevention of cancer is also one of the advantages of eating onion. Here we make it clear that cancer is a fatal disease. If someone is suffering from cancer, they should be treated by a doctor.
3. Digestive system
The medicinal properties of onions also improve the digestive system. Ripe onions are high in fiber, which can eliminate problems like constipation and gas. If there is no problem of constipation, then the digestive system will work properly. This fiber found in onions is called oligofructos ( 7 ). It helps the good bacteria to thrive in the intestines, so that the intestine can function properly. Not only this, oligofructos can also prove beneficial in a problem like diarrhea.
Pythochemicals found in onions can significantly reduce the effects of gastric ulcers. Onions also contain some natural probiotics, which can help relieve constipation ( 8 ). Apart from this, it can also relieve problems like stomach ache and stomach worms, but more research is needed on this.
4. Better Heart Health
The quercetin property found in onions is also good for the heart. It has antioxidant as well as antiinflammatory properties, which can make the heart function better. Onion can also balance cholesterol levels, which are essential for heart health. According to a Cambridge University Press report, onions contain flavonoids, which can reduce LDL, ie, bad cholesterol levels in obese people ( 9 ).
Onions can prevent platelets from sticking to each other in the blood, so as not to clot blood and reduce the risk of heart attack. Apart from this, onion also controls high blood pressure, which is not good for the heart.
5. Strong bones
According to research, onions can reduce the risk of osteoporosis (weakening of bones) with aging. At the same time, according to another study, women who eat onions daily, their bones are five percent stronger than women who do not eat onions ( 10 ). Also, eating onions of women above 50 years of age has a positive effect on bones.
According to the Arthritis Foundation, quercetin found in onions is so effective that it may reduce the effects of leukotriene, prostaglandins and histamine. All these cause inflammation in osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis ( 11 ). Apart from this, eating onions can also relieve joint pain. Bone strength is also on the list of onion’s medicinal properties.
6. Relief of inflammation and allergy
As you have already known, onions contain an element called quercetin, which can help reduce inflammation. In addition, quercetin also has a property called antihistamine, which can help you fight allergies. It is believed that if onions are used in food, sinus problems can be overcome ( 12 ). If you eat raw onion during the night, the compound called sulfur in it can help flush out the mucus.
Onions also have antibacterial properties. Consuming its juice may reduce the effects of Streptococcus mutans and Streptococcus sobrinus bacteria that worsen teeth and cause allergies ( 13 ). Therefore, one of the advantages of eating onion is to reduce inflammation.
7. Better immune system
Vitamin-C is needed for a healthy immune system and the phytochemicals present in onions work to increase vitamin C in the body. Onions also contain selenium, which can improve the immune system. Consumption of onion increases the amount of vitamin C in the body. Vitamin-C eliminates free radicals present in the immune system and clears toxins ( 14 ).
8. Mouth Health
It is known by all that after eating raw onion, the smell of the mouth starts, but you would not know that raw onion is very important for the health of the mouth. It contains two sulfur compounds called thiosulfrates and thiosulfonates, which can eliminate bacteria that rot on the teeth. Onion contains vitamin-C, which is necessary for the health of teeth. Not only this, onions can also help prevent oral cancer from growing ( 15 ).
9. Ear Pain Relief
It is believed that ear pain can be cured with onion. For this, the juice of the onion is heated and poured into the affected ear. There are many other domestic ways in which earache can be cured by using onions .
Note: So far scientific research has been done in this regard and it is difficult to say clearly whether onion is right for ear pain ( 16 ). You must ask a good ear doctor before using it.
10. For the eyes
The relation of onions and eyes is also strange. Water is released from the eyes after cutting it, then the light of the eyes becomes sharp when eaten. Consumption of onion produces glutathione in the body, which is a type of protein. It acts as an antioxidant. Excess of glutathione in the body i.e. black and white cataract and other eye related diseases . Onion also contains selenium, due to which the body gets enough vitamin-E and vitamin-E is necessary for the eyes. Therefore, it can be said that the benefits of eating onions are also to increase eyesight.
Keep reading this article to know the benefits of onions.
11. Increase sexual stamina
Onion is not just a vegetable filling, but also an Ayurvedic medicine. It can also be used to increase sexual stamina. It is believed that if onion consumption can increase the fertility of males. Scientists have done a research in this regard. This research has been published on the site of NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information). In this research paper it has been clearly stated that using onion or onion extracts can improve testosterone hormone levels in men. This hormone needs to be balanced for the fertility of men .
12. Fever and cough
If there is a fever, onion can be used as a home remedy. With its use, fever can be relieved to a great extent. Even today many people traditionally use onions when they have fever and cough. Not only this, some people have nose bleeding problem, onion smoke can be beneficial for them. At the same time, taking cough mixed with onion juice in honey can give relief. The benefits of eating onions include relief from fever and cough. At the moment, further scientific research is needed in this regard.
13. Helps in menopause
At the time of menopause, women have to go through many physical problems. In this case, onion can be beneficial for them. The bones of women are affected the most during menopause. In this case, consuming onion juice improves bone density. The research paper published on the NCBI website also states that onion juice is beneficial in menopause. The study has clarified that women over the age of 50 who consumed onion juice reduced their chances of fracture in the hips by 20 percent ( 23 ). On this basis, it can be said that onion use during menopause is beneficial.
14. superior trachea
If someone is struggling with any respiratory problem like asthma, onion can be consumed. It acts like an antiinflammatory. It also contains omega-3 fatty acids, which are good for problems like asthma and allergic rhinitis. It can be included in everyday diet. Then whether it is added to a vegetable or eaten as a salad. It will prove beneficial in every respect ( 24 ) ( 25 ). The advantages of onion include better working of the trachea.
15. Better Sleep
As mentioned earlier in this article, onions contain prebiotics, which can help in getting good sleep and relieving stress. Eating onions gives rise to good bacteria in the intestine, which digests the dietary fiber, which keeps the stomach well and produces metabolic byproducts. These byproducts improve brain functioning and lead to good sleep ( 26 ). The medicinal properties of onions also include sleeping better.
16. Do not accumulate blood clots
Onion contains an element called routine, which does not allow blood clots to form in the body. One study found that routine acts as an antithrombotic, reducing the risk of blood clots. These blood clots can form in the artery and veins. Some enzymes are formed when clots form, and routine helps to inhibit these enzymes ( 27 ).
17. Treatment of Cholera
Now we talk about cholera after diseases like cold, cough, ear pain and cancer. Research has found that onions have properties that are able to cure cholera to some extent . It has antibacterial properties. Therefore, onion can be used as a home remedy in case of cholera ( 28 ). Onion has benefits in cholera.
18. Increase energy
Onion contains fiber, which slows down the process of digestion. This keeps energy in the body. In addition, onions are found to contain inulin (a starch-containing substance), which can help in balancing the body’s functionality.
19. Healthy Brain
Enriched with antioxidant properties, onion is also good for the brain. It does not allow toxins to accumulate in the brain. It also contains sulfur, which prevents memory from weakening as it ages ( 29 ). According to the researchers, if you want to get all these benefits of onion, then onion should be eaten raw instead of cooked.
20. Combating oxidative stress
According to a research conducted in China, drinking onion juice can reduce oxidative stress. Also, onion has quercetin properties, it can get rid of diseases caused by oxidative stress. In addition, the antioxidant and antiinflammatory properties present in onions may reduce the effect of oxidative stress .
21. Kidney stones
If someone is upset due to kidney stones , onion may come in handy. It works like Ayurvedic medicine. Onion not only removes stones from the kidney, but also cleanses the stomach. To remove the stone, you can dissolve onion juice and drink it. It can benefit to a great extent.
22. Relief from UTI
Most of the women face urinary tract infection (UTI) ie urinary tract infection. In such a case, there would be severe burning in the urinary tract. In severe cases, pain is accompanied by fever. In this stage, onion consumption can be beneficial. It has antibacterial properties, which can eliminate bacteria that cause infection ( 32 ). Boil 100 grams of onion in 600ml water until the water remains half. Then drink this water. UTI can be relieved by doing this home remedy for a week.
Let us now know how onion is beneficial for the skin.
Onion benefits for skin
23. For glowing skin
Vitamins A, C and E are needed for Nikhari and bright skin and onion has all these properties. All these vitamins together reduce the risk of premature wrinkles due to free radicals on the skin. Apart from this, onion can also act as an antiseptic, due to which the bad skin is protected from bacteria. Here we are telling how to make face pack with onion.
- Two tablespoons gram flour
- One and a half teaspoon onion juice
- Half teaspoon milk
- A pinch of nutmeg
Method of use:
- Mix all these ingredients and make a thick paste. If the paste becomes too thick, then a little more milk can be added to it.
- Then clean the face thoroughly and apply this paste on the face and neck.
- When the face pack dries, take a little milk and lightly remove it while massaging the face with hands.
- This mask will not only make the face glow, but also exfoliate.
Note: If onion smell is more from the face pack, then you can mix few drops of lavender essential oil in it.
As you have already known, onions have antiseptic, antimicrobial, antibacterial and antiinflammatory properties. Due to all these properties, onion is beneficial for the skin. It causes neither pimples nor any skin related diseases. Know here onion face pack for pimples:
- A spoonful of onion juice
- A spoonful of olive oil
Method of use:
- Mix both these ingredients and apply them on the face.
- Let it sit for about 20 minutes and then wash the face.
The vitamins A, C and E in onions protect the skin from the harmful UV rays of the sun. Also reduce the effect of free radicals. These free radicals cause premature wrinkles on the skin. Let us know how to use onion to get rid of wrinkles.
- Fresh Onion Juice (as required)
Method of use:
- You can massage your face with this juice. This will help in better circulation of blood in the face and the skin will look more youthful, beautiful and glowing than before.
26. Treatment of insect bites
Many times insects or mosquitoes bite. This causes scars on the skin. To get relief from this, a piece of onion can be rubbed on the affected area. The anti-inflammatory properties in onions can relieve burns, cuts, itching and swelling.
27. Relief from dark spots and pigmentation
Pythenutrients and antioxidant properties found in onions enhance the appearance of dirt in the skin. This not only cleanses the dark spots, but also reduces the problem of pigmentation to some extent.
- Two – three teaspoon onion juice
- Two to three teaspoons fresh yogurt
- Any essential oil (optional)
Method of use:
- Mix these ingredients together.
- Then apply it on the face and massage for about 10-15 minutes.
- If you want better results, you can do it daily.
28. For warts
Onion juice contains acidity and some chemicals, which can relieve warts. All you have to do is to apply fresh onion juice to the warts. Then allow the juice to be absorbed into the wart itself. If you do this for a month, the warts can be gone from the root.
In the next part of the article, we are talking about the benefits of onion for hair.
Benefits of onion for hair
29. long hair
Onion contains nutrients like sulfur and keratin, which are essential for hair. When onion juice is applied to the hair, the hair can become long, thick and strong. Sulfur causes the formation of collagen in the scalp, which leads to growth in cells and the hair is stronger than the roots. Some research even says that washing hair with onion juice leads to better hair growth .
Method of use:
- Massage your scalp and hair with onion juice. Leave the hair like this for about 20 minutes and then wash the hair with a good shampoo.
Many people have dandruff problems. Especially, this problem is more prevalent in winter. To avoid this, you can use onions. It kills bacteria causing dandruff. You can use face pack made of onion to get rid of dandruff.
- Three teaspoons of fenugreek seeds
- Two tablespoons onion juice
Method of use:
- Soak fenugreek seeds in water for overnight.
- The next morning grind them to a thick paste.
- Then mix onion juice in it and apply it on the hair.
- Keep it for 30 minutes and then wash it with lukewarm water.
31. Natural Hair Color
If you want to maintain a natural color in your hair, then you must use onion. For this, apply onion juice to your hair. This will keep your hair shiny. If you mix onion in mustard oil and apply it on the hair, then there will be a natural shine in the hair.
32. Relieving White Hair
Onion contains an enzyme called catalase, which prevents hair from turning white . Also makes hair black from roots. You can use this onion face pack to darken the hair:
- Juice of an onion
Method of use:
- Apply onion juice on your hair and massage it gently with hands.
- Then after about 30 minutes wash the hair with sulfate free shampoo.
33. Eliminate lice
Onions contain sulfur, which can eliminate lice that grow in the head.
- Four to five onions
Method of use:
- Grind the onion and make a paste.
- Then squeeze the paste and extract the juice.
- Now massage the head and hair with this juice.
- After this, cover the head with a shower cap.
- Then after 2 hours wash your head with shampoo and light lukewarm water.
Do you know what nutritious ingredients are onion? If not, here we are telling.
Onion Nutritional Value
|total fat||0.10 g||0.5%|
|Dietary fiber||1.7 g||4.5%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.123 mg||2.5%|
|Vitamin a2||2 IU||0%|
|vitamin C||7.4 mg||12%|
|Vitamin E||0.02 mg||0%|
There are many ways to eat onions, which we are talking about further.
How to Use Onion
There can be many ways to eat onions. Then whether you eat it raw or by cooking it. Here we are telling some common and special ways of eating onion:
- If you are fond of eating Italian salad, you can use onion in it. Mix onion and tomato and mozzarella cheese in the salad and pour olive oil on top.
- Onions can be cut into small pieces and put in pasta and soup etc. This will increase the taste of pasta and soup manifold.
- You can also make simple rice delicious by applying onion and cumin seeds while making rice.
- When tempering is made while preparing any vegetable or lentil, it is fun to eat it by adding onions.
- Many people also eat tomato and onion vegetables with great passion.
Next we are giving some other information related to onion.
Selection and storage of Onion for onion selection and preservation for a long time
While purchasing onion, keep in mind that:
- It should be correct in shape, clean and not cut from anywhere.
- From the middle it should not be hard like wood.
- Its outer layer should be shiny and hard.
- The onion should be white from the bottom.
- If there is a stain in the onion or it looks bad from anywhere, do not take it.
- Some onions are like sprouts. There is a green stalk coming out of it. Such onions should not be taken.
Onions can be stored for a long time as follows:
- It should be kept in cool, dry and ventilated place.
- Never keep it in the fridge, as it can become moist and soft.
- If the chopped onion remains after use, you can keep it covered in a plastic refrigerator and keep it in the fridge. It won’t spoil for about two days.
- You keep checking the onion from time to time. If an onion looks bad, throw it away.
- Also, if green stalks start coming out of an onion, first of all use it. You can remove the green part and use onion.
Do you know that there are disadvantages of eating onions? If not, we tell.
- Strong smell: If you eat raw onion, then your mouth can smell strong. This is due to the sulfur present in the onion.
- Reduction in blood sugar: It can significantly reduce the amount of sugar in the blood. Therefore, medical advice is necessary before consuming it.
- Skin rashes: Applying onion juice to the skin can cause some people to itch and skin rashes. Therefore, you must do a patch test before using onion juice.
- Gas: Excessive consumption of onion can cause stomach gas, burning, vomiting and nausea.
- Pregnancy: Pregnant women should consume it in small quantities, because excessive intake of it may cause heartburn.
- Lithium: Onion intake can increase the amount of lithium in the body. Therefore, before taking lithium medicine in depression, please ask the doctor about eating onions.
- Blood pressure: Onion intake can reduce systolic and diastolic blood pressure levels. Therefore, those taking blood pressure medication should ask the doctor about whether they should eat onion or not.
Those who do not use it due to the strong smell of onion, must have understood through this article that the benefits of onion are many. Despite its pungent taste, it can serve you many things. Therefore, you should include onion in your diet, but in limited quantity, so that you can get full benefit of it and there is no harm of eating onion. If you have any question related to Onion, you can ask us in the comment box below.