Oregano is a virtuous plant, which is used in a wide variety of cuisines as well as in Ayurvedic treatment. Different parts of its plant can be used to relieve many physical disorders ( 1 ). In this article of Stylecrase we will talk about the benefits of oregano leaves. This article outlines some of the problems that Oregon can help to get some relief, but it is not a complete cure for any disease. Along with home remedies, medical treatment is also necessary to cure the disease. In this article you will learn how to use oregano at home and what can be the disadvantages of oregano if not used properly.
Keep reading the article.
So let’s first tell you what Oregon is.
What is Oregano?
Oregano is an herb, called celery leaves in Hindi. The oregano plant is about one to three feet tall and looks similar to basil and mint leaves ( 1 ). There are believed to be around 60 such plant species worldwide, which are similar in color and flavor to oregano and are often referred to as oregano. It is a virtuous plant, so it can be used to get relief from many physical problems, which we will discuss further in the article ( 2 ). In addition, oregano leaves are also used to increase the flavor of foods such as pizza, pasta, soups and sandwiches.
Let’s talk about the type of oregano in the next part of the article.
Types of oregano
Several types of oregano exist, but the main three are described below ( 3 ):
- European Oregon: It is also known as Wild Marjoram or Winter Marjoram. This type of oregano is found exclusively in Greece, Italy, Spain, Turkey, and the United States. It can be used to relieve cough, headache, nervousness, toothache, and irregular menstruation etc.
- Greek oregano: It is also known as Winter Sweet Marjoram or Pot Marjoram. It is an oregano extracted from Origanum heracleoticum L.
- Mexican Oregon: This type is also known as Mexican Marjoram. It is found especially in Mexico and surrounding areas and is used as a flavoring in Mexican foods such as pizza and barbecue sauce.
Keep reading this article to know in detail about the benefits of Oregon leaves.
Benefits of Oregano
1. The benefits of oregano for cardiovascular health
Cardiovascular problems are a type of chronic inflammatory condition in which cells take longer than normal to recover ( 4 ). This can be due to many reasons, such as smoking, diabetes, and inflammation. Essential oil of oregano has anti-inflammatory properties, which reduces the risk of inflammation and heart disease. Additionally, it also has cardioprotective properties, which can help keep the heart healthy ( 5 ).
2. Reduce the risk of cancer
The benefits of oregano leaves can be helpful in preventing cancer. Oregon has thymol, carvacrol and some other anti-cancer properties. These can prevent cancer cells from growing and reduce the risk of cancer ( 6 ). In particular, the benefits of oregano may prove effective to prevent colon cancer cells from growing. It has proapoptotic effects, which can kill cancer cells and can also help reduce the risk of cancer ( 7 ). In addition, it is important to note that these home remedies can reduce the risk of cancer to some extent, but it is not its cure. If someone suffers from it, then medical treatment is necessary.
3. Increase immunity
The benefits of oregano leaves can also be found in increasing the ability to fight against diseases. Many nutrients are found in oregano, such as vitamin-A, vitamin-C and vitamin-E ( 8 ). All three of these vitamins are considered effective antioxidants. These vitamins can help increase the body’s immunity . These can reduce the effect of free-radicals on the body and protect cells from their effects ( 9 ). For this, by boiling oregano leaves in a glass of water, you can consume that water.
4. Benefits of oregano for depression
It is perhaps surprising to know that Oregon’s benefits can also be found in fighting depression. Indeed, a research published by NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information) has found that the element carvacrol present in essential oil of oregano acts like an antidepressant agent. A study on mice in the lab has shown that it affects the dopaminergic system (dopamine – a type of hormone and neurotransmitter) ( 10 ). Having an effect on the dopaminergic system may help reduce symptoms of depression ( 11 ).
5. Relieve indigestion
Essential oil of oregano has many biological properties, such as antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidative, which may be beneficial to the body. It reduces the number of bacteria that damage the intestine, such as E. coli, and may help improve the immunity of the intestine. In addition, it may also help reduce inflammation of the intestine ( 12 ), which may help relieve some of the dyspepsia problem.
The antioxidative properties present in oregano essential oil help to keep the intestine healthy by reducing the oxidative stress of the intestine ( 13 ). For this, one or two drops of oregano oil in a cup of peppermint or lemon tea can be consumed. Thus oregano oil may alleviate the problem of indigestion, but further research is needed on this.
6. Reduce stomach pain
At times, stomach ache can occur due to food and drink disorder, constipation, indigestion, food poisoning and many other reasons ( 14 ). As such, the benefits of oregano can also be taken to relieve stomach aches. A compound called monoterpenic phenol is found in essential oil of oregano, which may help reduce abdominal pain to some extent ( 15 ). For this, you can consume one to two drops of oregano oil in a glass of water or juice.
7. Relieve joint pain
If someone is suffering from joint pain, then the plant of oregano is nothing short of a lifesaving herb for them. A monotrepic phenol compound named carvacrol is found in Oregon. This compound has anti-inflammatory properties, which can reduce inflammation in the joints caused by osteoarthritis. In joint pain, you can reap the benefits of oregano leaves by making tea ( 16 ). For this, boil some of its leaves in a cup of water every morning and consume that water. If you want, you can also massage with essential oil of oregano.
Scroll for other advantages.
8. Relieve swelling
When it comes to the benefits of oregano, its benefits also include antiinflammatory properties and for this essential oil of oregano can be used. Research published by NCBI has found that the use of this oil can help reduce skin inflammation. Not only this, but the carvacrol element in it can also help in reducing the inflammation of the ulcer and healing its wound ( 17 ).
9. Benefits of oregano leaves for diabetes
The benefits of oregano can also be seen in controlling type 2 diabetes . In this regard, research on diabetic mice in the lab has yielded results. Extracts of oregano leaves are believed to help control the increased levels of glucose and insulin in the body. In addition, it can also improve lipid metabolism and may help to keep the liver and kidney healthy for people with diabetes ( 18 ).
10. Relieving colds and fever
Oregon can be used to reduce the symptoms of colds, fever and common cold. Essential oil of oregano has anti-influenza properties, which can help reduce the symptoms of common cold. In addition, the plant of oregano is rich in antiviral and antibacterial properties, which fights viruses and bacteria that spread infections and can reduce the common cold ( 19 ).
11. Relieve Anemia
Iron deficiency in the body causes anemia . Iron produces hemoglobin in the body, a type of protein ( 20 ). The benefits of oregano can be seen for people suffering from anemia. A rich amount of iron is found in oregano leaves, which may help to iron deficiency ( 8 ). For this, the dry leaves of oregano can be consumed by boiling it in water.
12. Keep bones healthy
Talking about the benefits of oregano leaves, it can prove beneficial in keeping bones healthy. Many nutrients are needed to keep bones healthy. The name comes at the top of it, calcium is found in plenty and calcium is found in the leaves of oregano. In addition, it contains more nutrients, which can help maintain healthy and strong bones, such as magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper, and manganese. Along with this, oregano also contains vitamins beneficial for bones, such as vitamin-C, vitamin-A and vitamin-K.
13. Benefits of oregano for skin
Essential oil of oregano can be used to avoid skin-related infections or if there is an infection, to reduce its effects. It has antibacterial properties, which eliminate bacteria that spread infection ( 22 ). It also has anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory properties, which can reduce inflammation in the skin. It also has anti-cancer properties, which can help protect against the risk of skin cancer ( 23 ).
14. Benefits of Oregon for hair
Use of oregano may also prove beneficial for people struggling with hair loss. Research has found that oxidative stress can be a cause of hair loss ( 24 ). As we have mentioned earlier in the article that oregano can act as an effective antioxidant, so it can be said that its antioxidant properties can help reduce the oxidative stress and prevent hair loss problem. ( 25 ).
Scroll for more information.
After knowing the benefits of oregano oil and oregano leaves, let’s know about its nutrients.
Oregano Nutritional Value
The nutrients are described below in the leaves of Oregeno (dried) ( 8 ).
|NUTRIENTS||QUANTITY PER 100 GRAMS|
|vitamin C||2.3 mg|
|Vitamin B6||1.044 mg|
|Vitamin-A, RAE||85 mcg|
|Vitamin-A, IU||1701 IU|
|Vitamin E (alpha tocopherol)||18.26 mg|
|Vitamin K||621.7 micrograms|
|Fatty Acid Total Saturated||1.551 grams|
|Fatty Acid Total Monounsaturated||0.716 grams|
|Fatty Acid Total Polyunsaturated||1.369 grams|
Keep reading the article.
After knowing the benefits and amounts of oregano nutrients, learn how to use oregano in the next part of the article.
How to use Oregano?
It can be used in the following ways to take advantage of Oregon for health:
- Oregano tea can be made, which can provide the benefits of oregano leaf. For this, boil oregano leaves (fresh or dry) in a cup of water. After boiling well, sieve the water and consume it.
- Some oregano leaves can also be added to ginger or spice tea.
- It can be used as a spice in chicken, vegetables, pizza, pasta and other dishes to benefit from oregano.
- You can also eat oregano leaves by adding them to the soup. Its leaves will give a different flavor to the soup.
Note: Before using oregano for a particular problem, make sure to consult a dietician or doctor once for the appropriate amount.
Use of oregano for skin:
- Two drops oregano oil
- Two teaspoons coconut / olive oil
- cotton wool
- Combine both oils in a bowl.
- Apply it on the affected area with the help of cotton.
- This experiment can be repeated twice a day.
By adding four to five drops of oregano oil in hot water, it can also be steamed for 10 minutes. It is important to use caution when taking steam.
Use of oregano for hair:
- Two to three drops oregano essential oil
- Three to four tablespoons coconut / olive oil
- Take three to four teaspoons of coconut / olive oil in a bowl and heat it lightly.
- After heating, add two to three drops of oregano essential oil.
- Now massage the hair with this oil for about 20 minutes.
- After massaging, let the oil remain in the hair for about 10 minutes.
- Finally, apply shampoo and wash the hair with cold water.
Read the next part of the article on how Oregon is protected.
How to choose Oregon and keep it safe for a long time?
- Choose fresh leaves of oregano instead of dry oregano. She gives food a better flavor.
- When choosing leaves, always choose green leaves instead of yellow. Also note that there is no stain on them.
- To keep the leaves fresh for a long time, wrap them in a wet cloth and keep them in the fridge.
- If desired, you can also cut leaves, keep them in an airtight container, and keep them in the freezer.
- Dry oregano leaves can also be stored in air-tight cans for a long time.
Learn about Oregon’s loss in the last part of the article.
Side Effects of Oregano
Using Oregon as a control is completely safe, although using it in some cases can result in loss of oregano, which can be as follows ( 1 ):
- Pregnancy and lactation: Consuming oregano can be harmful for pregnant and lactating women. Excessive consumption of oregano during pregnancy is believed to cause miscarriage.
- Bleeding problem: Bleeding also known as bleeding disorder. Bleeding does not stop easily after injury. In this problem, the amount of platelets in the body decreases, due to which the blood clot does not form on the skin and the bleeding does not stop. This causes more bleeding than normal even during menstruation, injury, and surgery, etc. ( ). Consumption of oregano can increase the problem of people suffering from bleeding.
- Allergies: People who are allergic to Lamiaceae family of medicines like Basil, Lavender, Peppermint and Sedge may also be allergic to oregano, because oregano also comes from the same family.
- Blood sugar levels: Consumption of oregano can reduce blood sugar levels, so not using it in controlled amounts can result in the loss of oregano.
- Stomach upset: In some cases, the loss of oregano has also been seen in stomach upset by not using it in controlled quantities.
- Skin irritation: Applying oregano oil directly to the skin can cause skin irritation, so it should always be mixed with any other oil such as coconut or olive oil.
Now you must have understood very well how you can reap the benefits of oregano, in addition to pizza and pasta. Through the article you will have got information about the advantages of oregano as well as the disadvantages of oregano. Oregon is easily available in the market, and if you want, you can also plant oregano in a pot at home. So what are you waiting for? Bring Oregon to the market today and start using it after consulting a doctor.