There are many physical problems, which have many mixed symptoms. This is why it becomes a bit difficult to identify them. ‘Pancreatitis’ is also a similar problem, which may indicate its occurrence with pain in the upper abdomen. In such a situation, it is important that you know about this health problem, so that it can be prevented and treated in time. In this article of Stylecrase, you will know what is pancreatitis and what are the reasons behind pancreatitis. In this article, the treatment of pancreatitis and measures to avoid it will also be shared.
Let us know further in the article what is pancreatitis.
What is pancreatitis What is Pancreatitis
The inflammation in the pancreas is called ‘pancreatitis’. Pancreas is a large gland that is present behind the stomach and near the first part of the small intestine. This gland secretes digestive enzymes in the small intestine. The problem of inflammation in the pancreas occurs when the digestive enzymes begin to digest the pancreas itself. There can be many types and causes of this problem, which are explained further in the article.
After knowing about pancreatitis, further article describes the types of pancreatitis.
Types of pancreatitis – Types of Pancreatitis
Inflammation in the pancreas can affect a person in two ways. Below is the information in this subject-
- Acute Pancreatitis – This is a type of pancreatitis that occurs suddenly, but also cures in a few days with the right treatment. This is mostly due to gallstones (gallstones).
- Chronic Pancreatitis – This is a serious condition of pancreatitis. It gets more complex with time. The main reason is believed to be excessive alcohol consumption.
After knowing the type of pancreatitis, know the cause of pancreatitis in the next article.
Causes and risk factors of pancreatitis – Causes and risk factors of pancreatitis
As we mentioned above, pancreatitis is the problem of pancreatitis and there can be many reasons and risk factors behind it, which are described below in a sequential manner-
Common causes of acute and chronic pancreatitis and risk factor –
- Excess alcohol consumption.
- Genetic disease related to the pancreas.
- Side effects of drugs.
- Virus or parasite infection.
- Abdominal injury.
- Pancreatic cancer.
Causes of acute pancreatitis: The biggest reason for this is gall stone, or gallstones in the gall bladder. Gallstones cause inflammation in the pancreas, as this stone gets trapped in the pancreatic duct. This condition is called gallstone pancreatitis.
Causes of chronic pancreatitis: The most common causes of this are excessive alcohol consumption and genetic disorders. Apart from this, there may be following reasons for its occurrence –
- Pancreatic duct obstruction
- High blood fat level
- High blood calcium level
After knowing the cause of pancreatitis, further know what the symptoms of pancreatitis can be.
Symptoms of pancreatitis – Symptoms of Pancreatitis
The symptoms of acute and chronic pancreatitis can vary, which are as follows-
Symptoms of acute pancreatitis: Pain in the upper abdomen may begin slowly or abruptly. This pain can spread to the back and may persist for a few days. In addition, there may be some other symptoms of acute pancreatitis –
● nausea and vomiting
● rapid heartbeat.
● Abdominal bloating.
Symptoms of chronic pancreatitis: Like acute pancreatitis, pain may also start in the upper abdomen. However, some people may not have this pain. This pain may also increase after meals. Apart from this, the following symptoms can also be revealed –
- Greasy and foul stool
- Weight loss
Pancreatic inflammation can also cause some complications. Information about this is given below.
Pancreatic complications: Complications of Pancreas
If it is not treated at the right time, it can also cause some complications, which are as follows:
Complications associated with acute pancreatitis:
- Kidney failure
- Lung damage.
- Congestion of the pancreas.
- Risk of heart failure.
Complications associated with chronic pancreatitis:
- Blockage of small intestine or bile ducts
- Fluid freezing in the pancreas
- Absorption of nutrients is not done properly.
After knowing the causes, symptoms and complications of pancreatitis, learn about the treatment of pancreatitis further in the article.
Treatment of pancreatitis
Treatment of pancreatitis can be done in the following way –
In the case of acute pancreatitis: Acute pancreatitis can be cured in a few days through treatment and rest, but if the condition is becoming severe, doctors can treat it in the following way:
- If gallstones are the cause of pancreatitis, doctors can perform surgery to isolate the gall bladder.
- If the pancreas has accumulated, the doctor can work to get it out. Also, doctors can also separate pancreatic damaged tissue.
- In treatment, doctors can also take the help of Endoscopic Cholangiopancreatography. Its help is taken to correct the blockage in the pancreatic duct.
In the case of chronic pancreatitis : In the case of chronic pancreatitis, doctors may adopt the following methods to relieve pain and prevent complications:
- To help digestion, the doctor may give enzyme pills to the patient. Also, doctors can give vitamin pills.
- Diabetes can also occur due to chronic pancreatitis. In such a situation, the doctor may recommend regular blood glucose check and dietary diet chart. You can also change medicines.
- In addition, doctors may perform surgery in a critical condition. In this, doctors can remove the damaged and infected parts of the pancreas.
- In rare cases, the doctor may also perform transplantation by removing the entire pancreas.
Let us now know what diet should be consumed during pancreatitis.
Pancreatitis Diet – Pancreatitis Diet
During the treatment of pancreatitis, the doctor may recommend some dietary restriction, while some dietary may be banned. Many times the diet may have to be taken with the help of a feeding tube. Know below about the diet which should be avoided and not in pancreatitis –
Diets consumed in the event of pancreatitis:
- Low fat foods
- Short and easily digestible foods
- Fruit juice
Foods to stay away from:
- Foods that take time to digest.
- More fat and spicy foods.
- Alcohol consumption.
- Caffeinated beverages
Note: In the condition of pancreatitis, talk to the doctor once regarding diet.
Let us now know what measures can be taken to avoid pancreatitis.
Tips to avoid pancreatitis – Prevention Tips for Pancreas
The following measures can be taken to prevent pancreatitis.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking.
- Get children vaccinated at the right time.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Keep weight under control.
- Exercise regularly.
We hope that after reading this article you will know what is pancreatitis and what can be the causes and symptoms of pancreatitis. Also, you must have got information related to the treatment of pancreatitis. The article also gives some important tips to prevent this problem, by following which you can reduce the risk of pancreatitis and its complications. Apart from this, for other information or suggestions related to this article, you can take help of the comment box given below.