A pinch of salt only changes the taste of our food or simply say that a delicious meal cannot be made without salt. Do you know that the need of salt is more for our health than it is for taste. In this article, we will talk about the benefits of salt as well as we will also give you information related to the loss of salt due to its high quantity. Of course, we can be healthy by consuming limited amounts of salt, but in the case of severe illness, it is not appropriate to depend only on it. In such a situation, a doctor’s advice is necessary.
Let us first know what kind of salt is in the article.
What are the types of salt?
The type of salt is mainly divided into two distinct parts. The first is salt produced under various processes and the second is a naturally occurring salt. The following are the types of salt produced under the process ( 1 ):
- Solar Salt : Solar salt or solar salt is made by collecting seawater water in open ponds. Water is evaporated and dried in sunlight and the remaining substance is left as salt.
- Pure Salt : Pure salt is also known as purifier salt. Sea water is dried inside a tube to make this salt. Salt remains after the water dries.
- Processed salt : Also known as table salt. This salt is devoid of mineral and other chemicals are added to it, whereas natural salt contains many minerals such as electrolyte.
Naturally found salts are as follows:
- Table salt
- Sea salt
- Himalayan Pink Salt
- Celtic sea salt
- Flavor de salt
- Black Salt
- Flake salt
- Black Hawaiian salt
After knowing the types of salt, we now talk in detail about the various benefits of salt.
Benefits of Salt
The salt is known as sodium chloride, which contains 40% sodium and 60% chloride. Salt enhances the taste of rice and prevents it from spoiling quickly ( 2 ). If salt is eaten in limited quantities, it can be beneficial for health in many ways. Some of the benefits of salt are as follows:
1. Benefits of salt helpful in dehydration
In the condition of diarrhea and cholera, the body becomes dehydrated. In the event of dehydration , water and mineral levels in the body decrease. If this problem is not overcome in time, the kidney may be affected. In this case, ORS (Oral Rehabilitation Solution) solution is made by mixing salt and sugar in water. This solution can hydrate the body by relieving the problem of diarrhea ( 3 ).
2. Effective in relieving muscle pain (foot pain)
Leg cramps often occur in the elderly and athletes. This problem can be caused by exercise, fluctuation, pregnancy, imbalance of electrolyte in the body and salt deficiency ( 4 ).
When players play, they sweat more than their body, due to which the amount of salt in the body can be reduced to about 4-6 teaspoons. In such a situation, those foods, which contain salt naturally. Such foods may reduce the problem of cramps ( 5 ).
Therefore, players are advised to drink one-fourth teaspoon of salt in water. In addition, tomato juice and other sports drinks may also be good alternatives to salt fulfillment ( 5 ).
3. healthy teeth and to salt the benefits
Healthy gums and strong teeth are a hallmark of beauty. By using salt, teeth can be strengthened and gums can be made healthy. A substance called fluoride found in it has a carostatic property, which can help prevent the teeth from weakening and breaking ( 6 ). In addition, rinse with salt water can help in removing mouth infections. Bacteria that cause plaque on teeth are cleaned by rinse with salt water. These plaques are the main cause of tooth decay and gum disease ( 7 ).
4. Salt remedies to relieve sore throat
A sore throat or swelling problem can cause problems in eating and drinking water and talking. In this case, gargling with salt water can prove beneficial. Gargling with lukewarm salt water (half a teaspoon of salt and 1 cup of water) several times a day can help to overcome this problem. Salt is believed to have many properties that can be effective in relieving inflammation of the throat as well as providing some relief from pain in the throat ( 8 ).
5. Effective in relieving cystic fibrosis
Cystic fibrosis is a hereditary disease that causes problems mainly in the lungs and digestive system. This disease is often due to lack of salt or, say, due to which sodium chloride is released from the body. Salts and brine containing sodium chloride. They can help compensate for both of these in the body and reduce the risks of this problem to some extent, but medical advice and treatment is necessary to cure it completely.
6. Salt remedies to get rid of Sinus
There are some hollow cavities in the inner part of the head and face, which are called the airwaves or sinuses. These holes help us to breathe. These holes in the blockage of some sort of sinus problem (Sinus) may occur. It may also cause fever, weakness, fatigue and cough ( 11 ). One can use salt water to overcome this problem. This is called saline solutions. It can help to reduce the mucus by reducing the inflammation caused by this infection, but how much salt water can prove to be effective in sinus problems still needs further research ( 12 ).
After knowing the benefits of eating salt, we now know what can happen if the amount of salt is more or less.
What happens if you take less salt?
You have already read the benefits of eating salt, but low intake of salt can cause hyponatremia (low sodium levels) in the blood. This can cause headaches, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, osteoporosis, lethargy, syncope, and brain damage ( 13 ). In severe cases, low levels of sodium in the form of salt in the body can cause trauma, coma, and death ( 14 ).
What happens if you take too much salt?
Salt loss appears when it is consumed in excess. This causes a problem called hypernatremia, due to which there can be excess of sodium and water in the body. The normal amount of sodium is 158–160 mmol / liter ( 15 ). An overdose can cause many problems. In this condition, heart failure, other kidney problems with kidney stones, stroke, stomach (stomach) cancer, thickening of heart muscle and osteoporosis are common problems ( 14 ). We will tell you in detail in the aarticle about the complex problems that can occur due to excessive intake of salt.
Here we are telling you about some of the major problems caused by excess salt consumption.
What are the disadvantages of consuming excess salt?
Excess salt intake can cause serious health problems. Problems due to its high volume are as follows:
- Osteoporosis : The problem of osteoporosis is due to osteoporosis. Due to excessive intake of salt, calcium starts to decrease in the body. At the same time, due to lack of calcium, one has to face the problem of osteoporosis and osteoporosis ( 2 ). Also, excessive intake of salt can lead to hypertension and due to this, osteoporosis can also be encountered. Therefore, the amount of sodium in food should be balanced ( 16 ), ( 17 ).
- Kidney problems : Excess of salt is believed to cause high blood pressure and in this stage calcium molecules are released from the bones of bones and slowly accumulate in the kidney. Over time, these molecules cause stones in the kidneys and urethra ( 16 ).
Therefore, people struggling with hypertension often suffer from chronic kidney disease (CKD). This problem is caused by not being able to reduce the amount of excess sodium in the body. It is said to consume less than 4 thousand milligrams of sodium a day to overcome CKD and other kidney diseases ( 17 ).
- Heart of the problem : there is an overdose of salt can increase the risk of high blood pressure, which is considered a major risk factor for cardiovascular diseasa. Research by the Institute of Medicine and other researchers found that low sodium intake lowered blood pressure. A study in Japan has also found that low salt intake can reduce mortality from hypertension and stroke . Also, it is not yet clear whether low intake of salt can reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Stomach of cancer : the salt stomach damages the skin and can cause lesions that can lead to colon cancer. Excess of sodium in the stomach can increase inflammation in gastric mucosal cells. This may increase the risk of getting gastric cancer. In addition, salt can also increase infection with bacteria called Helicobacter pylori, causing damage to the skin of the abdomen. This may increase the risk of stomach cancer as well as gastric cancer.
After knowing about the side effects caused by excessive salt, we now know about some salty foods.
Which foods have high
Foods with a good amount of salt or sodium include bread rolls, pizza, sandwiches, soups, chicken, cheese, and omelets ( 20 ).
Friends, you have seen how a balanced amount of salt that enhances the taste of food can be beneficial for us. Although salt tricks can help to overcome many problems, but only the doctor can cure the serious problem. Nevertheless, you have already read about the benefits of salt, how the properties of salt can give you a great relief from many serious problems. If you eat more or less salt in the food, then from today you can take advantage of eating salt by balancing its quantity. How this article written on salt was beneficial for you, definitely tell in the comment box below.