Tea is preferred all over the world. Its fans like to take it in various forms. The amazing thing is that many scientific researches have been done to know the benefits of drinking tea, due to which its popularity has increased further. You may be surprised to know that tea can alternatively help in reducing the effects and symptoms of many physical problems. Learn about the benefits of drinking tea and different ways of using it in this article of Stylecrase. Along with this, the disadvantages of drinking tea have also been mentioned in the article.
Before proceeding in the article, let us know the benefits of drinking tea.
Benefits of drinking tea
Due to the popularity of tea, scientists have done many research on it. The scientific name of the tea is Camellia sinensis and it contains many medicinal ingredients, which can be beneficial for health. After drinking tea one can feel freshness and elation in the body. This is because caffeine is present in tea. Keep in mind that excess of caffeine can lead to many negative consequences, about which we will elaborate further in the article. In addition, tea contains some beneficial components such as polyphenols and catechins, which can reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease, arthritis and diabetes (1) (2) .
Let us know in detail the benefits of drinking tea and the elements found in it.
1. The benefits of tea in cancer prevention
Tea can prove to be somewhat beneficial in preventing cancer. Actually, polyphenols are found in tea, which can prevent tumor cells from spreading. Several research in this regard are available on the website of NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information). According to them, green tea can activate detoxification enzymes such as glutathione S-transferase and quinone reductase, which can act to prevent tumors from growing. In addition, green tea and black tea also have antioxidant properties, which increase the absorption of flavanoids. These flavanoids may show chemopreventive (anticancer) effects (3) ( 4 ).
At the same time, according to another research published on the NCBI website, green tea can help prevent cancer from growing, but there are some controversies in this regard. To overcome this, further research on tea needs to be done (5) . Also, it is important to keep in mind that cancer is a fatal disease. If someone is in the grip of this, then they should be treated by a doctor. Just relying on home remedies is not the right decision.
2. Tea is beneficial for the heart
Eating a balanced amount of green tea or black tea can be helpful in keeping the heart healthy. Actually, black tea is rich in antioxidant properties and it is believed that this property of black tea can help in keeping the heart as well as blood vessels healthy. At the moment, further scientific research is still needed to confirm this fact (6) .
At the same time, according to a research published on the website of NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information), green tea can help in reducing total cholesterol (TC) and bad cholesterol (LDL). This can protect the heart from cholesterol risk. However, no effect on HDL ie good cholesterol was observed in this research ( 7 ). Therefore, before taking green tea for the heart, seek medical advice.
3. Benefits of drinking tea in Arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis (a type of arthritis) is an auto immune disease. Auto immune disease is that in which healthy cells of the immune system are damaged. The pain, stiffness and swelling in the joints of a person suffering from rheumatoid arthritis persists. Green tea can bring comfort in this problem. According to a research published in NCBI, green tea can act to some extent in immune responses associated with arthritis, such as reducing inflammation-causing elements (Cytokine IL-17) and antiinflammatory effects (Cytokine IL- 10) can work to increase (8) . However, in this research, the effect of green tea on mice was not seen on humans. So it can be said that green tea can be included as a home remedy for arthritis .
4. Benefits of tea in reducing diabetes
A research published on the NCBI website has stated the benefits of tea for diabetes. Research has shown that tea can be helpful in reducing the risk of diabetes and the complications associated with it. According to research, tea can do this through a variety of processes, such as improving insulin resistance and oxidative stress and reducing inflammation. Different types of teas such as green, black and oolong were included in this research (9) .
5. Benefits of tea in headache
The benefits of tea can also be seen in headaches. Actually, it contains caffeine, which may reduce the effect of a headache. According to one study, 237ml black tea contains around 30-80mg of caffeine. At the same time, 35-60mg caffeine content is found in 237ml green tea (10) . Keep in mind that caffeine is not a cure for headache. A healthy person can consume 400 milligrams of caffeine per day, which can lead to problems such as headaches, insomnia and restlessness ( 11 ).
Now that we have read the benefits of tea, let us know further how tea can be used.
Use of Tea
Tea is mainly used as a beverage. There are following ways to use it:
- Many types of tea can be made by boiling the tea leaf with water. Lemon, cardamom and ginger can be added as per taste. People also like ginger and lemon tea .
- The benefits of green tea can keep hair healthy (12) . For this, hair can be washed with green tea.
- Tea leaf can also be used for dark circles due to the presence of caffeine (13) . The tea bag used for this can be placed on the eyes for a few minutes.
- Ice tea can be enjoyed by adding ice cube to herbal tea.
This information was related to the use of tea, now let us know what the disadvantages of tea can be.
Disadvantages of drinking too much tea
Consumption of tea remains true to a certain extent, as excessive intake of tea can cause the following problems.
- Reduces the absorption of iron. Tea: A compound called tannin is found in tea. This may reduce the body’s ability to absorb iron (14) .
- Tea can cause insomnia and heart disease Tea: Regular intake of caffeine present in tea can cause cardiovascular (heart) disease and insomnia. In addition, excessive intake of caffeine can also lead to brain diseases ( 15 ).
- Tea can cause nausea or nausea. Tea: Green and black tea taste bitter, because it contains tannin. Due to this tannin, its taste can cause nausea.
- Tea can cause headaches: Caffeine intake can also cause headaches. Scientific studies say that consuming 100 grams of caffeine in some individual cases can also cause headaches (16) . Yes, tea contains less caffeine than coffee, so tea intake is better than coffee (17) .
- Caffeine addiction can lead to tea: Consumption of tea can make it habitual and if not found can cause some negative effects, such as anxiety, tension, headache and increased thyroid (18) .
- The chest can cause irritation. Tea: We have mentioned this earlier in this article that there is caffeine in the tea. Also, scientific studies have also proven that caffeine can increase the amount of gastric acid in the stomach, causing a burning sensation in the chest (19) .
- Tea intake in pregnancy : Excess of caffeine intake in the form of tea during pregnancy can cause miscarriage and low baby weight at birth (20) (21 ) .
Hope that you have understood the benefits of drinking tea mentioned in the article. To get its benefits, you can adopt the methods mentioned in the article. When using tea, keep in mind that it contains caffeine, which can cause the above side effects. Also, which type of tea will be more beneficial for you, you can seek medical advice in this regard. Also, for other information or suggestions related to the article, you can contact us through the comment box below.